Thursday, October 3, 2024

False Alarm

 I wasn't in a hurry to go out and didn't until it was 7:20 am. I went first to check on the horses and found Leah in the pasture laying down all by herself. The others were up in the paddock. Of course I booked it over thinking maybe she was in the process of delivering but she wasn't. I took the golf cart over to where Diane was waiting and told her I would not be walking but would be moving Leah into a stall. She was sweaty and obvious pain. I took her right to the barn, bedding the stall thick with straw, moving in a bale of hay and putting that in the corner tank then bringing in 2 buckets of water. She was pawing, looking at her sides and curling up her nose. 

The walkers stopped by to check and we were all pretty sure she was in the first stage of labor. I went down to the house to get some vet wrap to wrap her tail. It took two full rolls, Leah has the typical Friesian thick long tail.
I thought I could get the foaling camera to work on my phone but wasn't able to so went back down to the house to get the camera up on the computer. ONLY the computer was off and would not turn back on. Since I didn't have any camera I decided to move her to Evan's pasture so I could still work in the barn but see her from the windows.  By this time the sun was shining and it had warmed up nicely. I was able to get the tables in place by the time Kathy and her husband came to buy the Little Guy Mini Max camper. They asked if we could store it for the winter as they were leaving for Florida. Ruth brought mom over to see Leah thinking maybe she had already delivered while Kathy was here so we had them drive up to the barn to show them Kathy's bird.

This is a parrot native to Australia and New Zealand. They took him in as a rescue and have had him for 10 years. He travels everywhere with them. Kathy told us he loves being outside. They paid for the camper then left. I went back to the house to mark it sold. Mark will need to winterize it before we store it in the indoor arena for the winter. Mark was up at the old barns power washing the tractors.
After lunch I went to Dollar General to pick up 6 plastic round table cloths. I have plenty of the rectangle ones but no rounds. The table cloths were put on the tables when Phil arrived to get the computer started. I spent a couple hours working on the website before heading back to the barn to decorate the tables. Mark came with me and started putting the chairs around the tables. 
When I finished the tables I helped him and together we finished with 2 chairs left over. We have enough seating for exactly 180 people at the tables but if we need more room people can sit on the couches and recliners. 


I was short 8 paper towel holders so drove to Dollar General again. They only had 2 so I drove to the Dollar General in Bartonville and that one had 4 more. I'm still short 2 but will make it work. I also stopped at Aldi and picked up a fajita meal for our supper tonight. That was good, I added avocado and tortilla chips. The computer is dead again. Mark thought he could get it going but neither of us were able to. It is hard to run a business without a website. I really need that computer as it has all the website pictures on it. I just need to have patience. 
Leah was put in a paddock by herself for the night. She has Jewel and Sally in the paddock next to her so she isn't alone. She was not happy in a stall. I think this morning she just had a mild colic. She has been fine all afternoon and evening.
Diane sent a link to Isaac Funks message he had in Morton on Wednesday night on Technology. She feels we all should listen to this message.  Click HERE if interested in how technology changes our brains. After listening to it myself. I agree this message NEEDS to be shared and watched. 









No comments:

Post a Comment