Saturday, April 15, 2023

Bill Schick's Funeral

 The coffee was so welcomed at 5:15 am.  The first cup was downed quickly then the second cup with a piece of that wonderful coffee cake from Trefzger's bakery Rhoda brought yesterday. Karin sent a message that mom's house needed more paper towels and napkins so even though it was before 7:00 am I took that over along with the left over coffee cake. Mom was already dressed for the funeral.  I had a couple hours before meeting Ruth which gave me time to get the 5th wheel ready for the airbnb guests and sweep the apartment floor for the airbnb guests coming in for that.  Mark went down to the lower trails to start clearing those but got his chain saw stuck so needed to come back up to get the skid steer to help. Ruth, mom and I left for Bill Schick's funeral at 9:00 am and arrived to find the parking lot full. We used the front door, were able write in the book, say our condolences to Joan, Bill's wife before heading into the sanctuary. (others blessed us by letting us cut in line to accomplish all of that) The funeral was very touching. If you would like to see and hear click HERE. After the funeral Ruth went home to help Fedi and I stayed with mom. We had some delicious chicken salad for our lunch. When Karin arrived I left as I needed to go to Sam's to get food for Sunday dinner.  I was shocked at prices. Everything jumped close to 10% in less than a week. I needed water bottles for the 5th wheel. Last week I bought 40 for $4.00 this week the same 40 were $5.44. Thankfully they had boneless pork loins on sale for $1.98 a pound. I bought a rotisserie chicken for mom's house and a 3 pound bag of walnuts for Ruth's house. The 5th wheel guests had arrived by the time I got home and needed me to show them how to work the water. Mark arrived with the golf cart just then so he showed them the storm shelter while I drove the chicken over to mom's. There was a snake on the road that I didn't want to hit so got out, picked it up and threw it into the woods. 

I was afraid he had already been hit but he slithered off quickly so was fine.
Denise's mare Jewel was showing this morning so this afternoon I brought her over to tie her to the breeding stand. Mark was here so I asked him to stand behind the stand and hold her lead rope. She walked up quietly and I attached the left cross tie when she violently threw herself backward. Thankfully Mark was holding on to the lead rope. This happened 4 more times before she finally stood still so I could hook up the second cross tie. Evan was brought over and she stood fairly well for him. She is a maiden so I wasn't sure how that would go. 
Mike and Diane came riding over. 
Dancer will be 3 years old May 29th and it is time to get her going under saddle. Last year Mike got on her once but he also long lined her quite a bit. He brought Mika and Sangria home so Dancer could have someone to follow. Mika is actually Dancer's uncle. He is half brother to Jewel Dancer's mom. Diane was willing to ride Mika so Mike on Dancer could follow. I think they did great. I followed with the golf cart.
They stopped at the barn first to get a longer pair of reins for Mika then into the outdoor arena.
The ride went well for her first time this year. She even led a little.
The weanlings were very interested in both of them.
Below they are walking back to the cabin field. I had to take this picture as the redbud tree is starting to bloom and is in the picture.
Dancer had to stop and say hello to Rosalie on there way back to the cabin field.
When they passed Evan he was also interested. He just happens to be Dancer's father.
Sangria came over to say hello once the other two were put back.
We now have 5 confirmed riding horses (Mika, Sally, Sangria, Missy and Cookie) at cabin plus Rosalie here. Now we just need a kid to step in and be a trail boss and start doing trail rides for the grand kids. The predicted storm moved in and we lost electricity for a short time. Lots of farther away lightning, a continues rumble of thunder but no loud booms. 
We just got wind and rain. I wonder if the 5th wheel is rocking in the wind. The guests know where the storm shelter if it gets worse.













No comments:

Post a Comment