Saturday, April 1, 2023

Bad Shortcut

 Last night it was really important for Lily and her filly to be in the indoor. Rosalie was checked, no waxing and her udder had gone down. She was put in the stall but was not at all happy being in the barn by herself, I finally just put her out in the middle paddock where there are 2 shelters and the big pavilion so she could stay out of the wind and rain. Rain we got, it poured. When we woke up before 5:00 am the wind was howling and the temperature dropping. We had 72 yesterday but by this morning it was in the 30s. I waited until it started to become light before heading out to check on the horses only to find Rosalie had delivered and the baby was in the mud. I called Mark to come help, ran to the shed for lead ropes and the two of us were able to pull him out of the mud and up into the yard. The foal was so cold he was no longer shivering but was still breathing. Mark went up to the barn to get 3 buckets of hot water while I ran to the house to grab towels. We were able to clean him (he is a colt) off before getting him into a stall. Rosalie lost sight of him, galloped around then ran to the apartment door, stood right at the window peering in hoping to see her baby. I was hoping none of the guests staying there were awake. My next job was to take the golf cart down to the house and grab an electric blanket off one of the upstairs beds and wrap him in that on high. My down coat was thrown on top of that. He was pretty lethargic and I didn't think there would be much hope but had to try.

The wind was awful and I could hear snow hitting the roof. I found a thick horse blanket and put that over him then. He was starting to respond and picked up his head.
Dr. Hoerr's emergency number was called and he answered and was willing to come right out bringing a heating platform. Below we have the colt on the platform covered with an electric blanket and a horse blanket while Dr. Hoerr checked him out.

Dr. Hoerr milked 6 ounces of colostrum from Rosalie and tube fed the colt. After Dr. Hoerr left I stayed in the stall to make sure he stayed covered. After about an hour he started trying to stand. I ran down to the house to get a baby bottle, came up and milked 4 ccs out of Rosalie and he was able to drink but realistically probably only swallowed about 3 ounces. An hour later was able to get another 3 ounces down him and then another 2 ounces in a short time. By this time it was obvious he is a fighter and was trying to nurse so I made the decision to take him to the vet clinic. Dr. Hoerr was sent a text that I was bringing them in. The trailer was backed between the two buildings, a bale of hay put in then Taegan, Kensley and Berlica were here to help load him in a wheelbarrow. No pictures we were all to busy keeping him from jumping out of the wheel barrow. Dr. Hoerr, Chris and Aaron were here to help with the unloading. Dr. Hoerr led Rosalie while Chris and Aaron kept him in the wheelbarrow. 

Of course the girls had to admire the calf and lambs at the clinic.
The colt tried to stand and with Dr. Hoerr's help was able to for a bit.
He was put on the heating platform. He is hungry and was letting us know.
It is nice and warm in the hospital stall and I am hopeful. The girls went in to pet the lambs before we started home.
We needed to stop for gas on the way home so stopped at Casey's where we played the guessing game on how much it would cost.
After getting home Taegan helped move Lily and her filly back to the indoor arena. My 5th wheel guests arrived and were happy. Between caring for the colt I was able to get the furnace going. Mark helped fill the fresh water tank and we checked out the water heater and were thrilled everything was working. The guests arrived just as we had finished. The muddy towels from this morning were hosed off and one load started. The lady buying the 4 horse trailer arrived to pay for that and NOW I'm ready for a long hot shower.  No more shortcuts for me. I never should have left Rosalie outside and now I'm paying the cost both literally and figuratively. 













No comments:

Post a Comment