Thursday, June 17, 2021

Rosaleigh's New Colt

 After putting Rosaleigh in the foaling stall last night around 9:30 I watched her on the monitor. She was not pacing but quietly eating hay. No sign of of the first stage of labor. That meant, or should have meant, I have a few hours to sleep. I packed the foaling bag of towels, vet wrap for her tail, headlamp, camera, video camera, and my clothes then  went to bed telling of mental alarm to wake me at midnight. Well I was more tired than expected and that mental alarm didn't go off until around 12:30 am. I went out to check the monitor and found Rosaleigh had delivered.

That meant I had plenty of time to get dressed so didn't rush out until I saw the foal getting ready to stand.  He is a strong fellow and by the time I made it out to the barn he was standing and taking his first steps. I never saw him fall. It took a while for him to find Rosaleigh's udder. That is probably the most frustrating part after the birth. It is so tempting to help but I've found over the years it is best to just walk out of the stall and leave them be unless it takes more than a few hours. This colt figured it out before 1:30 am. Below are a few pictures of this very handsome colt by Evan.








I'm so very thankful for another healthy foal and safe birth.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment