Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Middle Grove Check UP

Mark had to leave for the shop around 6:00 am. As soon as it was light enough to see I went out to feed the horses and when finished with that packed the car for Berean so I could walk a little longer.  We enjoyed the walk today as most of the ice was gone. We still wore our ice tracks but most of the time they weren't needed.  We had a good amount of mail for the Berean office, probably double what came in last week. If you would like to read about our morning there click HERE.  As soon as I got home from there I changed and was on the way to the Middle Grove farm. Some of the horses were up near the gate eating hay when I arrived. That is Tori and Madiera.
 The sun was peeking in and out of the clouds and the horses were enjoying the warm sunshine when it would light up the hillside. 
 I saw that horse in the picture below and was racking my brain on who it could be. It was obvious this horse is not pregnant and our only two bay mares are Jewel and Madiera. I finally remembered that this is Isla. She no longer looks like a baby.  She will be 2 years old May 16th.
I saw that group of mares up on the hillside but couldn't tell who they were until I hiked up and got close enough. In front is Lily, directly behind Lily is Sheena, to Sheena's right is Rosaleigh, behind Sheena is Roxanne and behind Roxanne is Tatiana.
Below is Indy
 Below is Oksana. I was going to bring Indy and Oksana home as they are both due in March but decided it is much nicer for them to be at Middle Grove. I'll just have to keep going out to check on them. Neither mare is bagged up at all and they are both content. 
It wasn't a wasted trip even though I didn't bring anyone home. I was able to check over each mare carefully. With most of the mares it is very obvious if they are pregnant or not but there were a few questionable.  Soul is due April 13th and doesn't look very big but last year I really couldn't tell if she was pregnant even until a few days before she delivered. She is not thin but just doesn't stick out much. I will bring her in to the Hanna City farm mid March any way and get her checked.
Another mare I can't tell for sure is Galena. She is such a huge mare and not due until July 1st. She is so wide and thick it makes her legs look short. She isn't a small mare at 16.2 hands tall.
I never saw Irish from the front. This is her very first foal so won't be as big as the other mares. She looks filled out from the side so probably is still pregnant. She would be due May 1st.
Rosaleigh is the mare that I thought for sure wasn't pregnant looks kind of like she IS pregnant OR put on a lot of weight.  IF she is pregnant she is due June 22nd. I even started to question if that picture could be of one of our other Friesian mares but her mane is on the left side and Rosaleigh is the only Friesian mare we have with the mane on the left side. I'll be thrilled if she is still pregnant. We thought she lost the pregnancy in August last year. 
If you would like to see the rest of the pictures from the trip to Middle Grove click HERE. Mark got home about the same time I got home from Middle Grove.  I made taco soup with the left over taco meat for dinner.  We are expecting another snow storm starting tomorrow afternoon with bitter cold temps moving in on Thursday. Mark is glad the snow plow is still on the tractor. 
The lady that bought Jewel's 2018 filly sent a picture today of Inez just after her bath.  Inez was born May 1st, 2018 She is 22 months old.Check out the amount of mane she already has but then her sire is Evan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment