Friday, October 12, 2018

Extremes

I left this morning around 6:00 am to go to Meister's to meet Stephanie who was bringing the cookies for our guests coming in today for the apartment. When I got there Spark and Jacob were searching for Jacob's truck. It had been hooked up to the trailer ready to go out on a job last night and this morning it was gone. We checked around with different family members to see if anyone had borrowed it. The trailer was professionally unhooked. In other words the wiring wasn't pulled out so who ever took it knew what they were doing.  They finally called the police to report it stolen.
That kind of made it hard to get work done today. We had a beautiful sunrise this morning. Rachel took the picture below.
On the walk we had to stop to take pictures of the sun lighting up the trees in the retention pond also known as the alligator swamp.
You know the saying "red sky in the morning sailor's warning" well that came true today. IT was just plain nasty outside. After the walk I had to get busy cleaning up the barn and then finishing the apartment. I had to run to Dollar General for a case of water as I like to leave bottled water in the fridge for our guests. We have city water here and it is safe to drink but we find most  people prefer bottled.  That beautiful sunshine lasted about an hour this morning. Soon the clouds rolled in and the rain started. That wasn't too bad until the rain changed to snow.
We don't like snow the 12th of October. We should be having beautiful fall weather, cool, crisp, and sunny, not winter weather in October. Nothing got done with the horses other than feeding and cleaning stalls. It was just too nasty out to train. The snow didn't stick but the temps never got out of the 30s.  The wood burner was filled and the fire started and the day was spent puttering around while listening to AC Central. Our electric blanket gave up the ghost in March of this year and last night it was miserably cold.  At 1:00 am this morning my feet were still frozen and sleep doesn't come easy when the feet are cold. On Monday I ordered a new electric blanket from Amazon and it was only $48.00. The blanket arrived at the shop and Mark brought it home. It is the ugliest, cheapest electric blanket I've ever seen but I guess I got what I paid for.  At least it works and hopefully will last this winter season.  All of this sounds so much like complaining that it must be stated, I'm glad for a working electric blanket and very thankful for the heat, thrilled with the wood burner and so much appreciate the warmth. The weather won't stay awful but even if it does I have such an easy way to care for the horses. Truly truly thankful for the place I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment