Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Ella Has a Colt

Ella delivered a big bay colt last night just after 10:00 pm. Thankfully we have the monitor. She wasn't tested but I could tell she wasn't comfortable and when she dropped down I left the house and headed for the barn. Her water was just breaking when I arrived. A few texts were sent out then the video camera turned on. Ella was very quiet with this labor, not a lot of grunting or loud straining. One leg of the foal was not in the right position but once that leg was pulled out the foal came very quickly. So quickly that the actual birth was not able to be video'd. I had to put the camera down to pull the leg straight, turned around to grab the camera and by the time I turned back around the foal was born. If you want to see the video it was downloaded on to the Horsemeister Facebook page.  He is a nice big healthy colt but no spots. Just a plain dark bay.



Jessica came out to keep me company while waiting for him to stand and nurse. Around 11:30 pm he was rooting in the right place and I felt comfortable that he was going to be fine and headed for bed. Thankful for another uneventful healthy birth!

No comments:

Post a Comment