Friday, October 8, 2021

Flat Tire

 I stopped in at mom's this morning and was put right to work. Rhonda had breakfast for anyone that wanted to come so Ruth and I stayed back and got mom up for her breakfast.

When the rest came back from Rhonda's I left as today was weaning day for Hadassah's filly. Hadassah was brought into a stall then slipped out and taken over to the cabin field. She was calling but not frantic. The halter was put on the filly, she was de-wormed with Quest Plus then she and Tatiana's filly were loaded into the horse trailer for their trip to Hoerr Vet clinic for their blood draw for the Coggins test.  All of this horse stuff was done without any help and I was probably just a little too proud of myself. On 474 at the top of the hill getting close to Morton, IL the drivers side front trailer tire blew out with such force that it sheared the bolt to the fender. Not only did I have a flat tire but the racket the fender was making was awful. At first I thought it might be the truck coming up behind me until I looked back and saw tire pieces flapping. I pulled off as far as possible. The trailer spare had been left in the barn. I tried calling Mark 3 times then called Anna but she was in Chilicothe helping Stephanie paint. The 4th time Mark answered his phone but by the time he left Meisters and drove to the barn picked up the tire then came to help change the tire it just made more sense to call Riekers and have them rescue me. 

I was stuck on the side of that highway for an hour and a half which gave me lots of time to think of my pride. I KNOW I had help today, just not from people. I really do depend heavily on my Heavenly Father and He helps tremendously. Why even the flat tire was a blessing today. Tomorrow I'm leaving for Chicago to deliver 2 foals and it would have been so much worse having the flat then. Now I'm prepared, I have the spare tire for the trailer and the jack in the truck. I finally made it to Hoerr Vet clinic and both fillies were excellent for their blood draw. They were even good for the pictures posing perfectly. I was holding them so didn't get any pictures.  When I got back to the barn I parked the trailer inside and led both fillies together back into the stall.  They both led like pros. My next job was to bring Prince(Irish's colt) and King (Jury's colt) in the indoor to practice trailer loading. I brought their grain inside the trailer, Prince of course follows me right inside. King took a few minutes until he realized Prince was getting all the grain then hopped in. I like this way of teaching trailer loading, they are not at all afraid of the trailer and were left inside with the trailer open for the rest of the evening and tonight. When I got back to the house I remembered mom's house needed toilet paper and soap, found both of those items and took it over on the golf cart. Ruth was just getting ready to put mom in the wheel chair and take her out on the deck. We worked together with the hoyer lift. Below are mom and Aunt Jinnie enjoying the sunshine on the deck.
Maria Graham brought her mom out to visit with mom so they sat out on the deck too.
Spark, Rhonda, Amy and Diane arrived and we were visiting out by mom's garage when Hadassah came walking up the road. She had gotten out of the cabin field and was searching for her filly.  She was taken back to my place and put in with the other weanlings. She has been calling and the filly has been answering from inside the barn but it is getting less and less. I am pleased that her filly is drinking and eating.  She and Tatiana's filly were born 1 day apart and grew up together as best buddies. They are so glad to be together for this traumatic experience of losing their moms. Their coggins tests should both be back by Thursday of next week, just in time for their trips to the new homes.  About then I got a notice that the apartment rented for tonight. As Anna was still helping Stephanie I ran up with some cookies and got it ready. They have a dog and asked permission to walk the dog in the back and won't get in until after dark so the outdoor arena lights were left on for them. When Mark got home I asked if he could work on the fender tonight. I really don't want to head up to Chicago with a loose fender. We spent most of the evening fixing it.
The paper work for the colts were put in the truck, the colts were untied. The foals in the stalls were all fed and watered for the night. Anna was called to see if she could help with my phone. It was a little more complicated than talking could fix so I ran over to Phil and Anna's house. Phil got it up and running, I'm home and finally finally  am ready to rest.






1 comment:

  1. It was so nice to visit with your mom. Didn't stay long didn't want to tire her out. Women you need a rest.

    ReplyDelete