Wednesday, October 6, 2021

3 Successful Trips

 Ruth came early to relieve me and Mark was glad when I walked into the house at 6:00 am.  As soon as it was light outside I hooked up the trailer to the truck and Mark helped me first bring Morgana (Soul's filly by Evan) inside to be with Tatiana's filly then helped get Tatiana out of the stall without letting her filly come with her. Tatiana was loaded and I was on my way to Middle Grove for the first trip of the day.  Rain was predicted by this afternoon and I wanted to get 3 trips in before the rain. When I arrived I just parked right inside the gate as there was fresh manure by that area and I thought the horses may just be at the top of the hill. Tatiana was let loose and took off calling.

It was pretty overcast but no rain yet. I hiked to the top, the horses were more to the south but Madiera and her colt were the first I came to.
Madiera was haltered and we started that long hike back down to the trailer with her colt following. The colt took off back up the hill but Madiera was loaded up and I drove to the back area and just let her call. Her colt was busy playing with Rosaleigh's colt up on the hillside.


Madiera called a few more times before both colts came galloping down to the trailer. They both had to check out Madiera standing inside. 

I wasn't exactly sure which was Madiera's colt until he stepped in and started nursing. 
I waited to see if the other colt would step inside but instead he took off galloping around the trailer.
I waited to make sure Madiera was content with the colt next to her before heading back. The second trip of the day was to bring back Lily and her filly. This time I parked in the south field and started hiking. Lily was at the top, she came to me was haltered and her filly followed her all the way down to the trailer. I thought this one was going to be easy but the filly took off and ran back up the hill. Lily was loaded and I really expected her filly to call and come running but all was quiet. I waited about 20 minutes then started hiking up the hill to find her. She was standing content next to her sister Rosalie and Missy. Who needs a mom when one has a big sister.
I had to hike back down to the truck to grab the big halter, hike back up again to bring Rosalie down too.  She followed Rosalie down to the trailer, saw her mom inside and jumped in. The halter was removed from Rosalie and she took off at a gallop back to the top of the hill.  When I got home there was a road construction machine parked in the driveway. I had to wait for them to back up before I could drive up our drive and back to the barns. Lily and the filly were brought inside, put in a stall then Lily loaded back up for the 3rd trip to Middle Grove to drop off Lily and bring back Hadassah and her filly. The road construction machine was parked back in our drive.
They explained they were waiting for their flaggers so just decided to have lunch in the drive. They moved the machine again to let me out. On the 3rd trip I didn't haul the camera up with me, just hiked up the hill, found Hadassah and took her down to the trailer and this filly didn't even hesitate, she jumped right inside so the 3rd trip was a charm. Hadassah is sold and will be leaving her on Sunday morning, her filly is also sold and will be leaving in about 10 days. It started raining as I was driving home. IF you would like to see the rest of the pictures from today click HERE.  Meanwhile at mom's house a miracle was happening.  Mom was dramatically better morning and day. Ruth sent this: She has had the most amazing morning and Aunt Jinny was the biggest help this morning. She asked 3 times to sit on the side of the bed so Aunt Jinny helped me.  she sat for 13 minutes and said she enjoyed the back rub. Said it felt wonderful.   She did five leg kicks and counted accurately. She chuckled when I said see you can still do math.  Mom has had a dramatic change for the better today. She wanted to get out of bed she's tired of laying in bed. She wanted to do things her self like drink out of a cup. She's cracking jokes and trying to smack Spark when he's being ornery Her Bible study group were meeting at Rhonda's house so they came over to visit.
Even Aunt Bernie came today.
When I got back instead of heading to the house I got to work cleaning stalls and working with the foals brought in today. Each was haltered and tied. Anna came to work on the apartment door thresholds. 
This is needed to keep the spiders out. She was willing to help move each foal into their own stall. The problem with keeping them together was they were trying to nurse off each other and Madiera's colt was threatening to kick Tatiana's filly. I tried Lily's filly in with Tatiana's filly but she was also intolerant when the filly kept sticking her nose under her back flank. 

Above is Lily's filly and below is Madiera's colt.
So tomorrow I will have 3 stalls to clean. I was supposed to be back at mom's house by 5:00 so I quit working around 4:15 pm ran inside to take a LONG shower and didn't get over to mom's until 4:50 pm. Rhonda was busy making dinner. Barb and Tony have arrived from Cleveland, OH, Mike and Janet Dreste were there dropping off more food. I offered mom some water and she asked for food. She wanted what ever Rhonda was cooking. Rhonda had picked one of mom's eggplants and had breaded and roasted it and served it with some of Janet Dreste's spaghetti sauce. Mom asked for seconds, then asked for some applesauce Amy brought. Mike and Diane joined the rest of the group for dinner and when Beth arrived to take the night shift I was free to go. I got home in time to watch Peoria's Family Night on Facebook live. I still need to head up to the barn to feed and water the 3 weanlings before heading to bed.























No comments:

Post a Comment