Friday, April 30, 2010

One of Three

Mike called early this morning that he heard horses neighing by the cabin, jumped up and there was Raven. He grabbed a halter, walked him back over and found his gate down, so tied him up to put the gate back up. Bunni comes wandering up and starts pestering Raven. Bunni must be near delivery and I'll try to get out there later this morning to test her milk. The last time she delivered, she was anxious and wanted Grace with her. We are not sure how she got out but it isn't unusual for a mare close to delivery to try to find a quiet place to deliver. Lilo, Lily's dam was always finding a way to get out when she was almost ready, the worst was she would take the herd with her. I had her at Bridlewood and for 3 nights in a row was awakened by the clip clop of hooves on the road. Jump out of bed, throw on boots, run to the barn to grab a bucket and start calling. Each time she had found another way out, either knocking down a gate, breaking a board or just climbing through. Once she had the baby she was content. It made me realize when a horse is determined to escape they probably will.
Yesterday during the school visit I was telling the group about Friesian history. I told them how there were only THREE purebred Friesian stallions left in the world and before I could finish the story, one of the mom's exclaimed, "amazing and to think you have one of them!"
This morning there is no walking, I have an appointment with my cousin Mary Ellen. She is heading down to Gulf shores and I need to give her the condo keys and her snorkel equipment. Then it is time to shop for strawberries, enough for 5 pies (4 for the benefit dinner and 1 for us)and food for Sarah to take on her trip to agape fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment