Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Oksana Waxing

I was thrilled early this morning when I went out to the barn just as the sky was starting to lighten and saw that Oksana had clumps of wax on both nipples. She should be delivering her foal tonight.
Oksana was just let loose in the big field until after our walk.  Mom had a really good report. Sarah stayed with her over night but mom didn't need her at all. She didn't even take the muscle relaxer pill and slept all night. She truly is on the mend. It was pretty cold this morning so she didn't go for a walk today. We had a high of only in the 40s with a brisk wind. I had a cardiologist appointment today needing to leave at 10:30 am. The stalls were finished then Oksana and Indy with her colt brought inside the stalls just in case she decided to foal while I was gone. Of course I had to shower and change out of my barn clothes.  I didn't even wear my muck boots but pulled out some tennis shoes that I only wear when I go out in public. That appointment went well, they took my temperature as soon as I walked in and then was asked all the Corona questions. This was just the annual checkup. When I got home and changed, Oksana was taken out to the big field first. Today the colt was given a haltering, tying lesson and he did not like that halter. It was put on and off him about 10 times. He let me handle him all over but wasn't really happy about it. Hopefully the next time goes a little easier. Indy and her colt were taken first to the outdoor arena for a few pictures. That colt can fly.

 I happened to look over at Joshua and Josiah's paddock to see them staring at the colt. They were both very curious.
 The colt is adorable, he is 2 and a half weeks old today.
 When Indy was let loose in the big field she and Oksana walked up to each other to greet. The colt was a little worried. 
 They sniffed then both settled down to graze.
 The colt was having fun bouncing around his mom but still a little worried about getting too close to Oksana. 
 When Oksana dropped to roll, he jumped then stood staring in amazement as she rolled. 


After Oksana had a good scratch on her back and a good roll I was sure they would be ok and left to get the stalls cleaned up again. When they were bought back inside the halter was taken off of the colt then they were put back out in a paddock. Oksana's tail was wrapped for the pending delivery this evening. .
 Her tail is so thick and long one entire vet wrap was used and even that wasn't quite enough. 
 When I came out of the barn I noticed Hadassah sure knows how to make herself comfortable. 
Later this evening towels were taken down to the barn and straw was brought inside Oksana's stall to prepare for the delivery. I have her on the monitor and believe she will probably deliver before midnight. She is dripping milk now and very restless. The picture below is her in the stall at 9:13 am today before I wrapped her tail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment