Saturday, March 14, 2020

More Snow

I watched the colt on the monitor but by midnight could see the colt had been struggling to stand. That meant a quick trip out to the barn to help him up and teach him to balance. Once he was rooting around at the right place I was glad to head back to the house and head straight to bed. At 2:00 am I got up to check the monitor to see if he was nursing. He was not, he was trying those long legs out and managing to get in some canter around Indy. He must have nursed if he was feeling that good. Indy had dropped the placenta some time between midnight and 2:00 am. At 5:00 am I got up to have a cup of coffee only to realize I had forgotten to make it the night before. Both Mark and I heated up a cup of  day old coffee while the coffee maker was filled and turned on. The colt at that time was still up and seemed to be doing fine.  After downing 2 cups of coffee I ran out to the barn, cleaned the stall, filled the water buckets and applied iodine to his cord. He was such a fighter that when I got back I told Mark either that colt is exceptionally strong or I am weaker than last year. He thought it may be the later but I'm sure he couldn't possible be correct.
Mom did not have a good night, she had to sleep all night on her new chair and Joan spent the night with her. That fall must have cracked a rib, she hurts when she coughs and cannot take a deep breath. She is SO thankful for that lift chair. I took the blood pressure monitor over and checked her blood pressure and it was quite high. She was given her pills which helped bring that down. She really is in a lot of pain. It was snowing quite hard. The picture below was just before I drove the golf cart over to mom's. I was soaked by the time I got to her place.
The men picking up Nanci Tatiana's filly came right after I got home from mom's. She loaded up quietly in their trailer but when I stepped out she wasn't sure she should stay in that trailer. Karin and Kayla arrived around 9:00 am as they were leaving and we could hear her stomping as they drove down the drive. Kayla helped with pictures of Indy's colt. He is little over 10 hours old in these pictures.

 Kayla was amazed at how strong he is. Below he is cantering around his mom. 

 He had to take a quick milk break after all that running.
Karin was in the indoor working with Valiant when we finished with the pictures.


 Kayla got on to practice her rising trot. What a gentle giant Valiant is.
 Karin put Valiant away while Kayla brought Evan in. It was still snowing.

 Of course he had to drop and roll.
 Evan is very photogenic, too bad it is hard to get good pictures in the indoor.
check out the lift in his trot in the picture below.
 It was so cold each time he would blow out he kind of looked like a smoking dragon.
 Karin finished up with him with some trick training.

 Mark, Karin and I went to mom's for lunch. Ruth joined us right about then so after lunch we played games with mom sitting in her lift chair with the card table in front of her. David Jacob came in and showed us the picture below of the snow that had fallen off the slide. It looks like ribbon candy.
Mom smeared us all at Mexican Train winning by almost 100 points. We told her it was because we felt sorry for her and were playing with our left hands. When I left mom's I drove straight to the barn to iodine Indy's colt's cord again. He really IS strong and I had quite a fight getting that job done. Oksana was brought in the stall barn. Since Nanci, Tatiana's filly is gone Indy didn't want to be in the stall barn without another mare. Both are munching away quietly. I'm going to take a nap then run out  to feed, water and clean the stalls one more time before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment