Thursday, March 26, 2020

Bringing Home Ayanna

Mom was able to walk with us past the dumpster and about half way to Diane's house. We thought it was a good start considering she hasn't been able to walk at all since she fell Friday March 13th.
Right after the walk I left for Middle Grove as the rain was suppose to move in by 11:00 am only it actually started raining as I arrived. It wasn't raining hard so I started hiking and hiking and hiking. The herd was not in the winter pasture. The gates were closed so I realized they must be locked in the summer pasture and found them after another half hour.  I didn't take the camera as it was still spitting rain but I pulled out the phone a couple times. That is Rosalie in the picture below and below  her is Sangria enjoying the grass.

 Isla and Irish came running up to greet me. Not the best pictures but I didn't want to take the time to get a decent picture as I was getting wet and tired. 
Ayanna was haltered and we started the long hike back to the trailer but when we got to the bottom gate it was locked with a padlock that wasn't working. The only other way through was to hike back up the hill to the far gate so I was determined to get the padlock open and banging it against the gate a few times it became loose enough to open.  Ayanna was taken to the stall to groom up a bit then into the indoor for a few pictures. By this time the rain was pounding on the metal roof of the indoor arena making quite a racket.
The rain slowed down to a trickle so she was taken over to Evan and teased. She is not in right now and was put in with Hadassah.  Next the weanlings needed a new bale. By the time that was done and I was back in the house it was quite late and my feet were soaking wet and very cold. I sat down in front of the heater, took off my wet socks and was enjoying the heat when Diane called. Her first words were, "what are you doing?" When I answered "sitting in front of the heater trying to get warm" she started laughing. She had to keep jumping in the pool to cool off. It was 81 degrees with bright sunshine in Gulf Shores.  ALMOST makes me want to retire from the horse business. Tonight Ruth, mom and I played a game called Banana Grams then Mexican train. Mom is doing well but still feels she needs that muscle relaxer pill to sleep and is going to take a half of a pill tonight. Joan is going to spend the night with her. At 9:00 pm I headed home to put Oksana in the stall but couldn't find her. She was at the far end of the paddock laying flat in the mud. Of course I panicked thinking she was in labor but when I called she came up to the gate. She was filthy and needed a bath before stalling her. I am so thankful for the hot water right there in the barn and the hose Diane bought last year. Once she was cleaned up and her stall given fresh water and hay it was time for me to head in for the night. What a long day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment