Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wynne & Evan

There have been readers of the blog who want to know about Wynne and Evan as they are mentioned in the blog but no where on our website. Since I've been emailing about the story, I finally just decided to post it here.
I saw Wynne when she was born and thought she would fit in our program, after 2 and a half years of waiting, the owner decided to sell her to us. As far as Evan, I'd been looking for a Friesian stud colt for a couple of years. I hate having to haul my mares out of state to another Friesian stallion and Mike is not letting me sell Jewel (last Grace baby out of Raven) and Autumn is Raven's daughter, then I want to keep Ciera so it just made sense to find the best stud colt possible to breed the Raven daughters we want to keep, plus it will give any owner of a Raven daughter a good option. At first I thought we would go with Tietse colt, I love his hair and grand prix movement but with Tietse, there were some disadvantages. Mintse had EVERYTHING we wanted with no disadvantages, He is tall, blue black, has the HAIR, has the distinction of the highest rated approved stallion improving on the mare, and he can never lose his breeding privileges as he is not just approved but approved on offspring. After a 2 years of searching we still couldn't find a stud colt by him that struck me as the right one. So many I looked at had something that didn't click with my program. One colt I found, was beautiful and his movement was spectacular. I asked for a copy of his papers and found out he was out of a Ludse mare. No wonder I liked him, he was Raven's cousin. Of course we had to pass on him. After searching so long, I finally decided to go right to the source and called Bob Debor, the owner of Mintse. He told me on the phone he would show me about 5-6 colts all by Mintse and let me pick. WE were able to see most of the dams of the colts also, what I liked about Evan's dam was she was a little more baroque than Mintse and had lots of hair. I think she was also the tallest but it was getting hard to keep track, he has around 50 mares.
Long story short, the search is finally over. Now we get to wait for him to grow up.
This morning there are NO horses here to run out in the cold and feed. No more struggling to fill a water tank when the hydrant is frozen, no manure to scoop (actually there is a lot from before, I gave up on cleaning up the manure when the extreme cold hit) no trying to start a tractor that just doesn't like starting in the cold, but also no horses looking at my door and calling when they see the door open, no horses crowding around vying for my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment