Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Grandparent's Day

 No walk for me today, I had to leave the house by 7:25 am to go to grandparent's day at Israel, Elisabet, Zion, Eden and River's school. My little gas light on the dash of the car was flashing that I was out of gas before I started but there wasn't enough time to stop but made it just fine.  We were ushered into the decorated dining room and given a menu to order from.  I ordered the breakfast casserole and cinnamon roll. I happened to know Stephanie made those cinnamon rolls and truly both were delicious. Martha Kay ordered the fruit and a cinnamon roll.

Below is Dana's plate, he had the biscuits and gravy, fruit and a cinnamon roll.
There were chocolate chip scones and cinnamon scones on the menu. Some of the others at our table ordered those and they were good too. The high school kids were the waiters and waitresses and the parents made the food. 
After breakfast we were taken to the sanctuary where the students recited Bible verses and the superintendent told us what we would be doing. We sang the doxology before going to the student's classrooms. Martha Kay and Dana went first to Israel's room while I went to Elisabet's room then we switched half way. The students interviewed all of the grandparents. It was very well attended. I stopped for gas before getting on the interstate to go home. Once home the cooking started. A quart of poppy seed dressing was made first for the salad. Then I started on the rice cooking 80 servings at a third of a cup per serving. The 28 pounds of chicken teriyaki thighs were put in roasters and turned on low. I had to run to the bank to pick up a check for tomorrow and when I was almost home Diane called to ask if I would come to mom's. She and mom had just gotten home from Bible study. Once mom was in her recliner I went to the barn to pick up all the salad stuff and desserts then loaded the car with everything needed for tonight except the hot foods and drove to church. When I got home I napped. Well kind of rested for about a half an hour. Mark went back over to keep splitting wood. We left for church with the rice and chicken in the back of the car, pulled in at the same time as Joan so she and the kids helped with the unloading. Diane arrived and made the salad. 
David and Elisabet also came early to help. 
The dinner went well, there was no chicken left but everyone had firsts and some had seconds. There was an entire crock pot of rice left which will be used in a beef soup on Friday. Diane made 4 batches of salad and if she would have made a 5th some of that would have been eaten but everyone seemed to have sufficient. I brought home an entire apple pie and some cookies. I had  brought 4 pies cut the pies so each had 16 pieces (they were really big pies from Sam's club) and 2 of the big cookie trays. Craig Stickling had the family night message on Josiah. If you would like to watch that click HERE. We were home by 9:00 pm. I had food to put away and lots of dishes to do but they are all done and I'm ready for bed. Pray for Dan and me tomorrow. I'm picking him up early and we are going to Indiana to look at a motorhome. Joan and I are thinking it may be time to replace the 2005 motorhome.








No comments:

Post a Comment