Friday, May 7, 2010

Our Wonderful Skid Steer


The girls borrowed Ruth's van yesterday for their trip to Chicago leaving Ruth Sarah's car so this morning it was to the gas station first to fill up Ruth's van, return it, and take Sarah's car to the farm.
Jackie, Heather's mare was covered this morning right around 7:00am just before the deluge of rain started. She didn't stand very well and may be going out. The rain was coming down so hard, when it was time to leave, the car wipers could not keep up. It is a good thing there are rumble strips before stop signs nowadays. Steven Marchal was called to cancel our trip out to Middle Grove to pick up Clara and son. No sense in tromping around 80 acres in the rain calling horses.
Once back at Bridlewood the call came that the skid steer was on the way. My paddock needed scraping in the worst way. Instead of helping me at Middle Grove Steven came to Bridlewood to help. The skid steer was almost out of diesel fuel, I emptied our two red cans of gas into the tractor, loaded them up in Sarah's trunk and drove to the Clark gas station. Pop the trunk and start to put diesel in the first red plastic can when the pump shuts off giving only 40 cents worth of diesel. After trying a second time it was into the gas station, wait in line and then the manager tells me I have the wrong color, I need yellow. Turns out he cannot sell me diesel in a red can, off to Apollo gas station where I know there is diesel for sale, except I can't get my credit card to work. After walking into the station and finding out they won't accept my credit card because of too frequent of use it was back to try again and again it wouldn't work. The manager of that station wanted to come out to help but I declined his offer, there was no way I was going to let him see me putting diesel in a red can, I don't know where there are any other nearby gas stations that sell diesel. After 3 trips inside I was finally able to get 10 gallons.
It didn't take very long to get the job done with good equipment. Kind of wish we had 2 skid steers, one for Bridlewood and one for the Horsemeister farm. But I guess that would make me lazy.
Mark showed up for lunch then as long as the skid steer was here he went out to remove a stump.
The stump is huge and even the picture below doesn't show how heavy it is.
The stump is now on the burn pile and Jacob Meister was called to have the skid steer taken out to the farm. After dinner Mark and I worked on the garden and the back pasture. We flattened some of the crevasses, got rid of lots of weeds, and spread lots of manure. We worked until it was too dark to see. Now once the grass grows up Amy can mow.

No comments:

Post a Comment