Tuesday, May 11, 2010

butter

Mark agreed that if I gave him a hair cut he would help me with the fence so once dinner was finished and the hair cut done we drove to the farm, fixed the 2 boards, put Duke in, tested Samantha and Bunni, teased Big Sally, still no go there, then headed home. Bunni is progressing in her calcium level, hers tested higher than yesterday while Samantha was just the same Thank Goodness. We don't want Samantha to deliver for a couple of weeks.
The cream from the milk Emily gave me needed churning today so out came my old Dazey butter churn. Evie Stoller gave it to me years ago when I was milking our Jersey cows. This was such a useful tool with that rich Jersey cream needing to be churned every day. Butter can also be made in a jar but the butter churn is so much faster and easier and I found the Dazey churn to be the best. I have the buttermilk sitting out to culture and will use that tomorrow to make pancakes and bake bread. The butter will taste delicious on both.
Emily emailed an update on Sophie, some good and some bad. Sophie picked up lunging very quickly, does not know how to cross tie but ties very well otherwise. She has a lot of stamina and Emily said she rode her around the field and found she is very smooth riding. Unfortunately she is still kind of spooky. We would not have thought that of her, she was pretty comfortable here and we didn't see any of that behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment