Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Colt is Born, Wynne In Foal

Dr. Hoerr called and wanted to come early to do the sonagrams. I was still at work but Steven Marchal was at the farm and offered to help. Thank goodness for good help! While on the phone, Dr. Hoerr told me the first of his 4 mares he artificially inseminated delivered a colt. The dam is a 13 hand Hackney pony mare again proving the mare determines the size. I'll drive over to Morton this week and get some pictures of the little guy.
Our good news is that Wynne is in foal to Raven and so is Kesha's mare, Sophie. Wynne is due March 24th, 2011 while Sophie is due March 26th, 2011.
While Dr. Hoerr was at the farm, he is talking to me on the phone when the bee swarm went by heading across the field. The next thing I heard was "Look at that, it must be honeybees!" He went on to tell me there was a huge cloud of bees flying across the field. He kept exclaiming "I can't believe how huge this swarm is, I've never seen one this big!" I'm sorry I missed it but glad we have so many honeybees around for pollination.
Emily Ricketts has been contacted about Sophie and Sophie will be taken over to her when she is ready for her.

Mike and Karin went to Middle Grove and rode Izadora and Mika and both were wonderful. They did not get the hair pulled from Clara's colt so I'll have to take a trip out for that.
Steven got Jackie covered so I don't need to go out to the farm but then he turned the mares out for grazing and Sangria came running over obviously in season. It had been a couple of hours so Sangria was covered also. Steven told me that Raven had no problem with getting them both done in such a short amount of time. Tomorrow we will give him a day off unless Big Sally comes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment