Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Jenis and Valiant

This morning I got to the farm around 7:15 went to feed Raven and heard a foal crying for his mom. Sure enough Valiant was on the wrong side of the fence. I got the 2 together and Jenis' udder was so huge and uncomfortable she didn't want to let him nurse. I held her so she couldn't walk away while the poor boy frantically suckled. She seemed to be accepting it so I left for the walk. After we get done, Diane and I go to pick up the round bale feeder and there is Jenis on the wrong side of the fence. I brought her back into the paddock, Valiant comes running to her to nurse again and Jenis takes off and 'Jumps' really climbs over the fence to get away from the pain. At that point I knew she would have to be locked up in a stall with her colt so she can not get away from him. After work today, I drove back out to check on them and Valiant was sound asleep, he wakes up, runs to her side and Jenis starts squealing but she did let him nurse even though she is very uncomfortable. Her udder is still pretty full so she will stay locked up for the night. Valiant looks fine so I think he is able to nurse with Jenis in the stall. The one good thing about stalling her is that it is easy to grain her this way.
Wayne Williams from the Northern IL Horse Fest contacted me about how to get in touch with Rachel Sauder for her pictures. I asked Rachel to email him, hope she did, her pictures are fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment