Monday, August 20, 2018

Giving Fluids

We heard the rain move in during the night then awoke to rain. Just over a half an inch of nice soft gentle rain soaking into the fields.  No walk though, none of us wanted to get that wet.  Karin and I brought back foals Friday as the vet is coming on Wednesday. I have 3 that need blood drawn for the Coggins test and 3 that need health papers. The information was sent to Hoerr Vet clinic then I went out to let them in the field to graze..
Below is Rosalie's filly by Evan
Below is Zalena's colt by Valiant
 Below is Missy's filly by Evan
 Below is Hadassah's filly by Evan
Below is Soul's colt by Evan
Below is Ayanna's colt by Evan
Hadassah's filly, Ayanna's colt, and Rosalie's filly will be leaving here the end of Aug/beginning of Sept and need their health papers. Zalena's colt, Soul's colt and Missy's filly all need their blood drawn for the Coggins test.  Tatiana and her colt by Valiant were turned out for a few hours between rain storms but as I was watching them I noticed the colt, even though he was acting fine is squirting almost liquid diarrhea. My first reaction was, "Not again!"  The colt was 26 days early and I've been so pleased he seemed fine. I brought them back inside, brought a chair into the stall and just sat there watching. After a couple hours I made the decision to call Hoerr Vet clinic and schedule Dr. Hoerr to come out this afternoon. The colt is still strong but with this kind of diarrhea he would be dehydrated by morning and I need to go to work tomorrow. Dr. Hoerr arrived around 5:00 pm. It took an hour to put in the IV and give him 1500 cc's of fluid along with other meds. The colt was feeling much better by 6:00 pm.  I flushed the IV just now but I'm really tired and am going to head to bed. Hopefully it will still be open by morning.
Mark mounted the headboard on the wall tonight in the bedroom at the apartment. No more squeaking headboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment