Thursday, October 8, 2009

Surely Thursday is Monday

This morning I slept in until 6:45 jumped up dressed and was ready to head out the door before I realized my car wasn't back. Mark lent it to one of his men yesterday. I didn't take time for coffee just took the truck keys to drive to the lake but... I saw Rhoda's Impala sitting in front of the steps and thought to myself, I'll just take her car, she doesn't need it until later in the day. Dumb idea. As I'm driving out of the drive way the light for no fuel starts blinking and the ding keeps going off Low Fuel, Low Fuel. Remember I haven't had my coffee yet so of course I think, "oh she needs gas, I'll just fill it up for her" forgetting her gas gauge doesn't work and she goes off her mileage. Didn't think to look at that. I pull in to the gas station and start to fill the tank when it stops at less than 2 gallons. I just keep working to get the nozzle in better, thinking that must be causing it to keep shutting off when the tank starts to overflow. Only then did I remember to look at her mileage and see she has only gone about 50 miles on this tank. Back in the car, trying to drive out of the gas station, the rain is hitting the window, it is still dark so I open the driver's side window to see if the road is clear and pull out onto the highway. The next step is to shut the window but... this is Rhoda's car, her drivers side window will roll down but not up. So out to the farm I drive in the rain and cold (about 50 degrees outside) getting soaked. I should have driven straight home but Izadora is in a stall waiting to be fed. At the farm, Izadora was fed and watered but did not get turned out, it is just too wet and cold. She is starting to bag up and we don't want a baby born out in this weather. Raven and Jenis were grained, and I headed over to mom's for some coffee but because we didn't walk today, she didn't MAKE coffee. The rain started coming down in earnest so by the time it was time to drive home the drivers side seat was soaked. That was not a fun trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment