David is the son of Bro. Paul & Sis. Loretta Zimmerman of Forrest. Janella was the daughter of Bro. Charles & Sis. Charlene Gerst of Mediapolis.
While on vacation in the Dominican Republic on May 6, the Zimmermans were involved in a serious car accident near Santa Domingo, which took Janella’s life.
There were two passengers in the other vehicle; a male driver has died and a female passenger remains in the hospital. Specific details about the cause of the accident are not known at this time. We urge brethren to be cautious about spreading information obtained through media, email, or word of mouth about the accident until all the facts are verified.
David and the children were treated for minor injuries and released from separate hospitals in the Dominican Republic, boarded flights for the USA, and at this time, should now be back in the States.
Janella’s body will be returned to the U.S. later this week following the completion of repatriation requirements of the Dominican Republic.
During this time of grief, HarvestCall is doing everything possible to care for the grieving families and missionaries who are mourning the loss of a wife, mother, sister, teammate, and friend. The coordination of care for the Haiti missionary community is beginning. The local Forrest and Mediapolis churches will be ministering directly to the families.
- For the family as they grieve and mourn the loss of their dear wife, mother, daughter, and friend
- For our shepherd brothers Marvin Dotterer and Jon Schmidgall who along with the home church families will be loving and supporting David, his children, and the families involved.
- For our missionaries in Haiti who ministered alongside of David and Janella
- For the family of the deceased man in the other vehicle involved in the accident
- For HarvestCall’s Caribbean leadership team as they lead and support through this situation