Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Harvesting Honey

 We got another half inch of rain last night during the 2 storms that came through. I was glad Madiera and her colt were safe inside. They were put out around 7:00 am and then I went to work cleaning the stall.  Madiera is teaching her colt to move to the corner of the stall to manure as both of them had that all piled up in the northeast corner of the stall. Too bad they can't figure out to do the same with urine. I had a lot of sodden hay to dig out and grabbed the pitch fork for that. 

We had a good walk and talk this morning, sharing fun stories of the weekend. Ruth, Joan and I stopped in to visit with mom right after. She decided not to go to Berean as Monday was a holiday she was sure there wouldn't be much mail.  Karin had 2 drawings she was working on. The first is Blair with her new baby brother Micah and the second is Walter.

Only 5 of us showed up to work at the Berean office.

Today is Skip's birthday so we celebrated with a chocolate and a carrot cake for our break.
Chip ( think it was him) brought his huge sprayer and was spraying the field next to the Berean office.
That was amazing to see how many rows could be sprayed so quickly.
We were easily able to get everything done by 11:00 am.  The mail was dropped off at the Hanna City post office before going home. While at Berean Tim sent a message he was not going to be able to repair the sink. Anna was called, she and Phil offered to work on it tonight. Mark was called to turn the water off in the apartment. When I got back Anna already had the sink back on the wall but not yet hooked up.
Mark and Mackenson worked on removing a huge fallen tree off the hay field. He used the chain saw to cut the limbs into usable sections then he and Mackenson piled them on the skid steer bucket.  Mark used that skid steer to move the logs over by the other pile for splitting. Mark said if anyone wants wood for the winter they are welcome to have any of this. He had Berlica come to start mowing the pond pasture but when she ran out of fuel, he got more diesel then mowed himself. Those weeds behind him are so tall it takes a long time for that small bush hog to get it down.
I left then for TSC to buy bedding and grain. I knew I could fit 12 bags of bedding and 2 bags of grain in the prius so told the check out lady what I wanted then went to look at the chicks. All of their chicks were marked down to just $1.00 each. I was SO tempted to buy a bunch but couldn't figure out who would want them. I'll ask tomorrow on the walk and if anyone wants them will go again tomorrow. The 2 ladies that brought the grain and bedding out where shocked when I told them it is the Prius. I had to assure them strongly it WILL all fit, I promise it will all fit and it did.
11 bags fit in the back. I put the hundred pounds of grain in the front along with one bag of bedding. I mentioned that they did such a good job of packing maybe I should go in and buy 8 more bags for the back seat. You should have seen their faces! I had to explain I was just kidding. Once home, 3 bags were put in 2 of the foaling stalls and 4 put in the last one. The last 2 were put on a pallet. Mark arrived as I was unloading and brought over a new pallet.
The grain was taken to the feed stall.
I was so pleased to have the bedding I went right to work on the stalls. 
Each stall has a section of hay and straw for a foal to lay down in, and the rest of the stall the pelleted bedding. Above is the stall I cleaned this morning, below is the second foaling stall and below that is the 3rd. 
Notice the cat up by the board going across the stall watching.
That board is there if we need to hang fluids for a foal. We loop it over that board and it can hang easily. The cat walks across that to get to the aisle.
This afternoon Joan decided to open the bee tree hive at Spark's house. Oh my was that hive huge. She and Berlica came dressed for the job.
I thought it would be safe standing quietly by the back of the barn. That worked for a while until Joan got those bees really mad then they started coming at both Berlica and me and we got stung.
Berlica went back to her house to get a better hat. After getting stung in the arm, leg and twice in the head I went home to get better protection finding a sheer curtain, a hat to hold the curtain off my body and wearing a rain coat. When I got back Berlica was gone, she was done getting stung. I was able to video more as Joan was searching for the queen but soon the bees started flying hard into the curtain determined to sting. Enough was enough and I left for home. Later I found out Joan got stung on her wrists, shoulder and the worst was right on her chin. She was able to fill 2 boxes with the brood (baby bees) and many bees were hovering or going in those boxes. She does not know if she has the queen in one of the boxes but will go back tonight to see if the bees are moving. The log the hive is in is well over 5 feet long and hollowed out. She didn't have to cut much of the log to get into the hive but was not able to finish cleaning it out today. She has a lot more cutting to do. Below is the video I was able to take before chickening out and quitting. 
When I got back to our house there was the geese pair out grazing in the pond pasture with their growing goslings.
The clouds last night were rimmed with color.
Another good productive day! 












No comments:

Post a Comment