Monday, February 28, 2022

Middle Grove Monday

 I left the house around 7:30 pm to head to the Peoria post office to pick up the Berean mail. Sam's club was the next stop to pick up a 38 pound bag of cat food plus a cheese cake and blue berries for the Berean office.  From there I drove straight to the Berean office to drop off the mail and the dessert. Meister's were there working on the duct system. 

They had a ladder in the bathroom to get up into the attack.
I left before the job was finished so we may have some clean up to do tomorrow.  From there I drove to Peoria tire to drop off the flat snow tire. Eddie met me as I pulled in so I told him I would pick it up tomorrow either before Berean if we have time or after.  By this time the weather was warming up nice, already 44 degrees outside so I decided to make the trip out to Middle Grove to check on the mares.  It is a long drive from the North of Peoria to Middle Grove.  The gas alarm went off before I reached Hanna City but gas there was $3.90 a gallon so I figured I could easily get to Farmington where gas is usually cheaper. It was by ONE CENT. Talk about highway robbery.  I didn't bother stopping in Farmington. By the time I made it to Middle Grove it was 46 degrees and sunny. My sweat shirt was all that was needed. The horses were at the far south end of the property. All look well but for sure Rosalie is not pregnant. I didn't recognize her at first and thought she was one of the purebred mares coming up open, she came right up for attention and when I checked her mane it was long and Rosalie usually rubs hers off. Maybe she is maturing enough to stop rubbing her mane off. We will bring her in when we bring in Iris and get her bred to Evan for 2023. I would also like to keep her here this year to get some riding done on her. She is a fun ride, is good on trails and has a nice canter. 
The rest all are obviously all still pregnant.  Irish now is the first mare due and she isn't due until April 6th so will be left out for a few more weeks.

Last year if Iris would have had a filly I would have kept the foal as that filly would be able to be bred to Evan but she had a colt. This year I'm feeling too old to keep a young one. Crazy the difference between 66 years old and 67. Why I would be 70 by the time the filly would be old enough to breed if she has one this year. Soul is the next mare due on April 16th.
The mares were all just drowsing in the sunshine.
The cat was fed when I finally made it home from Middle Grove. She was hungry and very glad for the meal.  The cat food was secured well in a garbage can with a locking lid. Anna got the apartment cleaned up. The family left a very nice review: Great place, host was super great with communication ahead of arrival. Perfect place away from the hustle and bustle of Peoria but still close enough to go do the city things. Apartment was spotless upon arrival. “Staying here was amazing, the kids loved it and asked that everytime I come visit to stay here again. They have also named the apartment as "The Ranch"”
I headed over to mom's about 4:45 pm with the meal.  Joan was still there helping the kids with school. They are trying to work ahead as tomorrow is Bev's visitation and Wednesday is the funeral. 
I was showing mom the pictures this evening and mentioned Sangria has really aged, she will be 22 and doesn't look near as good as she did last year. Mom came back quickly with, "well MOST of us don't look as good as last year!"  She certainly had us laughing. If you would like to see the rest of the pictures from this trip to Middle Grove click HERE.  We had supper a little late. Ruth came over to relieve me at 6:30 pm.  Diane is on her way home and reported at least the weather is now nice. It is, it was 55 and sunny but this is not going to be feeling like Gulf Shores. Check out the ice on the lake in the picture below. This was taken around 5:00 pm. The ice is causing a nice cold breeze to keep it cool on mom's deck.














No comments:

Post a Comment