Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lady AGAIN!

Mike came into our office at Meister Brothers, he had just gotten a call that Lady was out. I finished up my real work and headed out to the farm. Sure enough Lady was standing next to Raven. I didn't have to search long to find where she had escaped from. She went between a round bale and a gate, then bent down the gate and climbed right over. She had NEVER ever tried to escape before, the breeding instinct is amazingly strong and that is why we need good gates! As she was covered yesterday, I put her back and put up a new gate. I will need to get to the farm early tomorrow so I can get her covered in the morning. I'm not sure exactly when she came in so I don't want to miss this season and wait for the next. While I was there I worked on Salena's paddock. She is not happy being separated from the herd. Her paddock is pretty close to the herd, She can see them, hear them but she isn't with them so she is unhappy. I do not want her to deliver her foal in the mud and mud we have as the rainfall in March set a new record, most rain EVER recorded. Sure is a good thing we didn't wait to move the mares in from Middle Grove. I don't think even a our tractor would be able to pull us out now.
Holly, a lady that booked one of the paint mares to come for breeding called. She would like to just bring the mare over each day, then take her home. Holly's place is only about 10 minutes from our farm. This works out wonderful, I won't need to save a paddock, plus she doesn't have to pay mare care.
I talked to Emily Jewell, the owner of Keegan about hauling Autumn back down to her place to be rebred. Hope we can work this out when I get back from Alabama. If I do, I'm going to raise the price on Autumn. No way would I sell her for $3500.00 if she is in foal to Keegan. Her last year colt by him was fantastic plus we enjoy her too much as far as a riding horse. She is really a lot of fun, not a mean bone in her body, wants to please and loves it when we let her go all out.
Steven Marchal called and he found out that the sale on Lady fell through. He is willing to start working with her, ground work, long lining, lunging and then undersaddle work. She is another one that if she is trained to ride, we would be well off NOT to sell her, just sell her foals by RAVEN. I was pretty thrilled he offered. I only put her for sale as she is not trained to ride and with this economy we are only wanting to keep our riding horses. I know Jamie and Ralph Stone have hired Steven to train their horse Dakota and Dakota is boarded at the Hanna City farm so it will be worth his driving out to Hanna City if he is working more than one horse at a time. If anyone is looking for a trainer, Steven is fantastic. He really knows how to put the WHOA on a horse, he teaches great ground manners. His work on Lily, Jenis and Athena was exceptional and I highly recommend him.

No comments:

Post a Comment