Friday, August 14, 2026

Basilea's PPE

 We had storm after storm come through during the night. The lightning actually woke us up, the constant bright flashes. There was no walk this morning as Joan and Diane went to the Cameron lane garage sales. Berlica stopped in to grab the advanced vaulting surcingle and just about the time they were ready to start the heavens opened and the rain poured down hitting the tin roof with a resounding thunder like ROAR.

Poor River had to hold her ears.  I was amazed at how well Jewel did with the noise. There has been so much rain the last 2 days that water started flowing into the indoor arena. The rain slowed down and stopped for just enough time for a fun trail ride. This ride ALL 3 of Sarah's girls got to go. Berlica led the ride on Jury, 8 year old Zion rode Basilea, 7 year old Eden rode Jewel and 5 year old River rode Penny. They found huge trees down on the trails. The horses had to find a way through them and did pretty well. Mike tried working on some of them but it was just too muddy today. You can see the trees down on the video below of the trail ride.

They got back before the rain but Sarah wanted Zion to have a chance to practice the rising trot in the round pen and they got rained on.

As soon as they took the saddle off of Basilea she was loaded into the stock trailer and I was on my way to Hoerr Vet Clinic for her pre purchase exam. The clinic was swamped, so busy that we didn't get our turn until close to 1:00 pm. Below Dr. Hoerr is checking her over.

All that went fine until it was time for the flexion test. He looked over at me and I could see the doubt in his eyes when he asked, "can you run?"  I started laughing, when ever Joan runs in front of Diane or me we call her a show-off. There wasn't anyone else so run I did.  I got back from after the first leg and Dr. Hoerr says, "ok do it again and this time I'll watch the horse."  That was a joke as I was obviously lame! By the 4th leg my replacement hips were feeling it. I don't think I will choose to run again for awhile. I had to stop for gas on the way home as the truck was running on empty. 
Well not quite I think the tank must be a little larger than 30 gallons. Around 4:00 pm Mark came with me to help move a new bale in for the last paddock. From there we drove into Bartonville for supper at the diner. He had soup and salad, I had liver and onions. We got home and checked the rain gauge. It was the same as yesterday.
Another almost 2 inches and now at 8:40 pm it is raining again and more storms are predicted. The fields are saturated, the paddocks are muddy but there is nothing to be done but thank God for this life giving liquid.
Basilea passed her ppe and her new owner is flying in tomorrow morning from Maine to meet her. She has already scheduled transport for Monday.





No comments:

Post a Comment