Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Heading to Mayo Clinic

This morning Mark and I are making the 6 hour trip to Mayo Clinic. I have an ascending aortic aneurysm that must be repaired. This trip is just to get all preliminary tests done and to meet the surgical team. I'm not sure when they are going to schedule surgery but it will probably be soon. Do NOT worry if you have purchased a foal that will be picked up this fall. We have a lot of help to continue the foals education as far as leading and loading.
I dread the initial operation, that cracking open of one's chest, the stopping of the heart, the bypass machine and the healing after but am looking forward to the time it is healed and I don't have to worry about what is being lifted or pulled. According to Karin, once it is repaired there are no restrictions and it won't blow no matter how hard I work. I've known about the aneurysm since I had the hip replacement March 6th, 2012 and have been monitoring it by ct scans but this year it has grown. Probably something to do with my age, not my lifestyle. I was just hoping to put it off. The main reason is hoping the technology would come up with another way to repair it instead of open heart surgery and the second reason if I could just reach 65 years old so our great country can help pay for it. Now I'm going to have to sell lots of horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment