Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ouch

Just about 5 minutes before arriving in Morton, IL for the vet appointment a phone call came to say they needed to move the appointment to 3:00pm instead of 2:00pm. The horses were just dropped off and the truck and trailer were taken to Walmart for some much needed groceries. At least one of the many things on the list got done today. Once back at the clinic the colt is still running a temp and he needed more meds. This time we will give 5ccs of a very strong antibiotic every 6 hours through his IV port. It was 5:00pm by the time I arrived back at the farm. The puppies needed to be fed and locked up before bringing Jenis and her colt off the trailer. The stalls were quickly done, the horses unloaded and supper thrown together before showering and dressing for church. After church the puppies needed feeding, the stalls needed cleaning, the water buckets cleaned and filled, Jenis and Raven fed, THEN it was time to get the IV flush and meds. Trying to stick a very sharp needle into a very small port when the colt's head is bob bob bobbing around was not easy. The first time I stuck my thumb, the second time I stuck my first finger, blood is flowing freeing and each time a new needle must be used. The lead rope is going around a post and I'm holding it with my mouth trying to hold him still and finally was able to get the job accomplished. I dread the 4:00am meds. Dr. Pallen made it look so easy, of course when she was doing the job the colt was sound asleep. Too bad we weren't born with 4 hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment