Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Nancy Scare

 On our walk this morning Nancy's home called to report she was having trouble breathing and her blood pressure was very high. They were taking her to St. Francis. As I was taking mom and Aunt Jinnie to the Berean office and Joan was helping Karin move furniture, Ruth volunteered to go be with Nancy. She brought Nancy a gift of a magic maker and a coloring book that would show different colors all with that same marker.  Mom, Aunt Jinnie and I had a good time at Berean. We were all busy and were glad to serve at that office. 





We finished and were home by 11:30 am. I left mom and Aunt Jinni with Karin then drove to the hospital to relieve Ruth. We switched places and about that time the nurse came in and gave Nancy a dose of lasix in her IV. Not long after that I asked the nurse where the bathroom was as I was SURE Nancy was going to need it. The nurse looked at me kind of funny and said, "Its the same one you just used."  Then I was confused and told her but I just got here.  She thought I was Ruth. It wasn't long before they came to take Nancy for a CT scan. Of course I went too as there is no way we wanted them trying to explain to Nancy what she would have to do and not understand that she was not understanding. It was a good thing I went too. They thought she couldn't walk and were going to strap her to a board. I convinced them to let her get up and walk over to the machine, lay down and was able to hold her hand throughout the entire test. She did well with that. Back to the room and back to beeping alarms that kept going off because her pulse ox kept going off each time her oxygen level dropped below 90.
Jen Gabriel was with her from the home but needed to leave. Her first nurse was Samantha
When she left after her shift her new nurse from the ER was Tate Wyss. Both of them are from the Washington church, pretty cool. Of course I had to ask who their parents and grandparents are now that I'm almost 70. That's what all good old AC ladies do you know. Joan arrived around 6:00 pm to relieve me. Nancy was still in the ER but had been assigned a room it just wasn't cleaned yet. Joan said she was moved to room 2738-2 at 9:00 pm When she given some food Joan wrote "I thought it smelled delicious but Nancy ate a few bites then said she was full and didn't want anymore!  I've NEVER heard her say that.  but she really just wanted the chips that were there and then she proceeded to eat the entire meal anyway." She will spend the night with Nancy then Ruth will be relieving Joan at 7:00 am. I started for home but wanted to stop to get some food but the only food available that was not fast food was at New China Kitchen. I picked up a couple meals and we ate that once home. Oh my what a crazy unexpected day. Tomorrow Nancy is to have an echo cardiogram. The CT scan showed no blood clot which was what they thought was the problem. She has heart failure and fluid around the heart but that doesn't explain the blood pressure spike. We should know more tomorrow. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment