Sunday, October 10, 2010

Other Incidents on Sat

A couple of things happened yesterday that were disturbing. Mike got a call from Paula Shook, she lives just a mile down the road from the farm, wondering if we were missing any horses. Of course we cringe when we hear this, thinking one of ours must have decided to go visiting but when she described one as a fat gray pony Mike was relieved, we have no grays. The other was a chestnut with a wide blaze and we only have one chestnut, Mika and he has a star. My first thought was perhaps it was Ruth and Fedi's horses, Cindy and Larry. Cindy is an extremely fat gray pony and I couldn't remember what Larry looked like. Ruth and Fedi are in Ohio for the weekend so wouldn't even know if their horses were missing. Mike drove down to Paula's and they were not Ruth's horses. The pony is a small shetland type, very fat and the chestnut is young. We are hoping they are escapees not drop offs. They were clean and VERY well fed. The other incident I still cannot get off my mind. A lady with a couple of kids came walking over to the Old School Center with an English Mastiff that was in terrible pain. The poor dog was shaking with her tail between her legs the entire time. The lady was not concerned, even took the dog to have her (the dog's) face painted. When she came over to the horses for her daughters to ride, I asked her what was wrong with the Mastiff. She told me, "oh she has bad knees." After holding the dog and feeling the shaking my heart broke. This poor girl was only 3 years old and the only time she stopped the shaking was when she collapsed at our feet. The pain must be unbearable when she was standing. The owner kept trying to get the dog back up to continue the walk. After watching the pulling and pushing, my eyes had to turn away but now my brain won't erase the picture of abject misery from my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment