Friday, November 13, 2020

Positively Positive

 I was sick yesterday, laying on the couch with chills, coughing and a back ache. The fever broke in the middle of the night but by morning Mark who had been coughing for a few days decided we must go in to be tested for Covid 19. He called the doctor office first and just talked to the nurse. She explained the office didn't open until 9:00 am and they may not have any time to take us in for testing so the best thing to do was to drive to the civic center. I got the feeding done and 3 of the 4 stalls cleaned before we left. We arrived there around 9:00 am and the line stretched all the way through the parking lot and down the road. We got in line and the estimate was 3 hours. After about an hour we turned into the parking lot. A man met us then and  told us to do this QR code thing on our phone but we are not phone literate and finally found the play store and downloaded it but were still struggling to figure out what was next when the doctor office called to report they could take us if we would come right away. We got out of that line and drove straight to the doctor office.  Now Mark says he is not pessimistic but is a realist and was so sure he would test positive that yesterday he gave away a coat and then told me, it might be his last charitable act. He also decided to go to the bank to look for our will, just in case, you know.  We must be prepared.  When we got to the doctor office we had to wait until everyone was suited up like those pandemic movies. As they don't do a lot of testing there, three of the office workers wanted to be there to help and learn.  We were scanned first for a fever. Both of us were a little below normal at 97.6, our blood pressure was just fine and then came the SWAB, Mark was done first and he made terrible face and made them wait to do the next nostril as he was going to sneeze.  They took his swab out to run and came at my nose. Now remember I had been cleaning stalls and had not sneezed all morning. EVERYONE that clean stalls knows what comes out of one's nose after that job. I think they were all shocked. They rushed out of the room with that very black looking swab quickly. I thought they were probably afraid of losing their breakfast in my presence.  The nurse came in to tell Mark that his test was inconclusive and they would need to do it again on him. Not long after they left the room for the second time Dr. Bevill came in to tell me that I was positive and he would be back in a bit once they knew Mark's results. We waited another 15 minutes but when the nurse came back in they still had no results. They were surprised about Mark's AND my results as they said, "we didn't think the test would work with that much debris." I quickly explained I WAS cleaning stalls this morning. I didn't want them to think I was a bad house keeper.  Dr. Bevill checked our lungs which were both good and then told us what to watch for and let us slide out the back door to go home with instructions to quarantine for 10-12 days as long as no fever comes back. Even though Mark did not test positive, he must be quarantined with me as he lives with me. My only regret was not getting a few photos for the blog. I just didn't think to pull out my phone. Rachel sent a text that she was stopping at Kroger after work today and did we need anything, then dropped off our order at the door. I LOVE living out here in this neighborhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment