Sunday, April 22, 2018

Star's Colt

At 2:22 am Mark woke me to say he thought a horse was having a baby. By checking the monitor, he was correct, she was in labor and in the process of delivering.  Since I didn't have straw down (did not think she was going to deliver today) I ran out with towels and dried off his head, then put the towel under him until I could get down straw. Earlier I had put a bale right outside her stall.
 She waited to get up until I had straw all around him. Below Star is just starting to stand. 
 The sack was so strong that when she stood it pulled him along a bit. 

 Below the sack is tearing. 
 Star went right over to start cleaning up her brand new colt. 
 All cleaned up!
 He is strong and was standing at 2:50 am. While I was waiting for him to stand the mares inside were all given water and hay. 
 I made sure he could balance and was taking steps toward her before leaving the barn. 
I can see on the monitor he is rooting around in the right place so feel free to head to bed. I'm praying by real morning he is nursing well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment