Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Coyotes In Broad Daylight.

As I was headed to the meeting place for the walk this morning I looked down Mike and Diane's lane and saw something that made me stop and take another look. A big coyote was sitting in front of the cabin and another one was sitting half way between the cabin and Diane's house. Both of them were looking at Diane's house. I started down their lane yelling, "get out of here!" Scared they were going to kill Ebby if she walked out of the house right then. At first they just looked at me until I started running toward them waving my arms. It helped that Emma was right behind me. They both took off into the field then into the woods. They are getting much too bold. They looked in good shape,  not at all skin and bones. Crazy to think they were out in broad daylight so close to the house.
The waterers were all checked during the walk and all were fine.
After the walk today 60 presents were wrapped, all for adults. These will be given out during the play at the Illinois Horse Fair. We are not going to be wrapping the toys for the boys and girls.
Around 1:00 pm we discovered either Darla or Serenity pulled the plug on that paddock's automatic waterer and the water was flooding the paddock. The plug was found and put back in, then Mike sent a text to see if he had any metal plates we can put on top of the plug to stop them from doing that again.  I'll check in the morning to see if that got done, if not mom has a lot of bricks which will do the trick temporarily. I snapped the two pictures below of Jenis, Envy, EasterBonnet and EllaSkye after the waterer was fixed.
 Ella had just had a good roll in the snow and her face was still full of snow. 
Sangria and Serenity were brought inside for de-worming. Sangria was given a full tube of Quest Plus while Serenity was given just a quarter of a tube of Ivermectin, enough for 250 pounds but with foals we always start out with a half dose and she probably weighs around 500 pounds. I didn't even put a halter on to de-worm her, just the lead rope around her neck. She took it like a pro. I found a halter that fit her, stuck that on her and gave her a tying lesson with Sangria in the stall across the hall. She could still see her mom but had to listen to me. She remembered everything from before we took her to Middle Grove. She has such a thick fuzzy coat and is well prepared for this cold winter. 
Karin arrived after work and brought Evan in first.







He did very well again today. She took him back while I brought Ayanna and Rosalie inside. Karin grabbed Indy and Anna.  She was working with Indy first while I was trying to heat up a nail to make more holes in the girth straps for Ayanna. Ayanna is so fat she is growing out of everything. We bought the biggest smart girth made and it is just getting to be too small. They don't make a smart girths in draft size. Once Karin finished with Indy and was tacking up Anna, I grabbed a lead rope to take Indy out, hooked up the lead rope to the mare wearing the blue halter who I assumed was Indy and then realized it was NOT Indy but Ayanna. They both have on blue halters.  The correct mare was taken out and put away. When I was walking back to the barn I heard a big scramble then laughter. Turned out Anna had expelled gas very loudly and scared Ayanna and Rosalie who thought they were being attacked. They panicked and slammed into each other in their hurry to run from the hay bales to the door. Karin keeps Anna's instruction short, and by the time I got back in the barn she was ready to tack up Ayanna and have me take Anna out when all of a sudden the snow started sliding off the roof with a big crash. Ayanna and Rosalie again panicked but this time quieted down much quicker. Karin had such a good ride on Ayanna. The Illinois Horse Fair is holding the youth judging on Saturday March 3rd and they have asked us to have a Friesian class. Karin is going to ride Ayanna in that class against Tyler riding Indy, Anni riding Rosalie and either Jessica riding Jenis or Caleb riding Zalena. 
Rosalie was the last mare worked today. She too did wonderful. 
Mark drove mom, Diane and me to church tonight. Greg Rumbold had the message reading Colossians 1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment