Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Holly's Mare


After work today I got to the farm before Holly drove up with her mare and had Lily's stall cleaned and her water filled before she arrived. It is just unbearably hot, my car's thermometer said it was 95 degrees and there was no breeze. We have very high humidity so any effort at all for us has us dripping with sweat. I hosed Raven off before I brought him over to her mare. Raven is so good, he listens to me, will mount when I tell him to and get off when I tell him to. I think Holly was impressed with how obedient he is. After Holly took off, I started hosing down the other horses. Clara stayed right up at the fence loving every minute of the cool water. Ribbon was the other mare that couldn't get close enough. Velvet, Duke and Mika didn't really like it and moved off. I brought Lily into the indoor arena and let her eat off a round bale while she was being hosed. I didn't get her staples out yet, maybe tomorrow afternoon. Steven called and offered to take care of Lily tomorrow morning. I told Steven that I was going to put her bandage on for overnight and when he comes in the morning to feed her he was to take it off but it was just too hot. I couldn't force myself to put it on in this kind of weather. After working at the farm, Mark and I drove over to the pond and jumped in. The water is freezing about 18 inches down and felt so refreshing. Diane brought out pizza and the sun tea she makes and we all enjoyed dinner outside by the lake. We got home around 8:45pm and I ran out and collected a couple of cc's of Jenis' milk to check with my foal predictor kit. I noticed today that she was bagged up compared to yesterday but the predictor kit indicates that I have nothing to worry about yet. She was so good today when I was hosing her off, I cleaned up her utter and she didn't even flinch, then when I milked her tonight she just ignored me. I think she will make a good mom to this coming foal. Jenis isn't due until July 18th and I don't want her going early. The picture is of Jenis and her filly Abby. I did not turn out the mares tonight, it feels like another storm is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment