Friday, September 22, 2017

Sangria's Trouble

It was so hot today with the actual high temperature of 93 degrees. The horses needed to be hosed off and brought inside. The monitors were turned on and while I was doing house work off and on would check the monitor. All of a sudden I heard a lot of kicking, ran to the monitor and there was Sangria cast up against the stall. Quickly as humanly possible I ran up to the barn. Luke's car was up at the apartment so I opened the door and yell "LUKE" but no answer. Running into the stall I got a halter and lead rope on Sangria and tried to move her without putting the aneurysm in jeopardy but she didn't budge.
 No one was around so I called Mike hoping he would be at the office but no answer. Anna was called next and she did answer. Instead of telling her what I needed I just exclaimed "I need help in the barn RIGHT NOW." She remarked that Phil had just gotten home and she would send him right over. When he arrived he thought he would be pulling a foal out and was surprised to see Sangria caught. We first tried to move her away from the wall but she weighs much to much to even get her to budge. Philip put a lead rope around her front legs, I held the lead rope while he grabbed her back legs and together (mostly Phil) we were able to roll her over. She was quick to stand and was dripping wet with sweat. Phil was thanked then she was taken out for a good hosing down. Lots to be thankful for. Thankful we have a monitor with sound, thankful I was home and really thankful Phil came. The way Sangria was twisted up she would not have survived in that position very long. She was already having trouble breathing.
Mark and I are busy preparing for the trip to Mayo Clinic on Thursday. Want to know exactly how Mark is preparing? Today he contacted Chris Schmidgall to buy a burial plot. No really, that is exactly what he did. I'm thinking he may not have a lot of confidence in the surgeon. Now that's bad enough but Rhoda made the comment if I don't survive she is selling off all the horses except 10. I can't figure out if they are thinking this will make me want to survive or not. First of all I'm glad about the burial plot. We had been planning on getting them and Mark left a message that we want 2. I sure didn't want to be buried in the manure pile.
All joking aside, the surgery is suppose to be very complicated and take around 6 hours. We are thrilled with the surgeon though, he is very highly rated and in fact the cardiologist told us that he is the number 1 rated surgeon in the world. I'm going to be in very good hands. I'm planning on taking a nice rest afterwards. Rhoda will be updating the blog while I'm incapacitated.
Tonight Ruth, Karin, mom and I played Mexican Train at mom's. Karin won and she wasn't even keeping score. Mom and Joan are leaving early morning for a trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama. After today's heat going South isn't so inviting. Mom will stay down for 2 weeks. Mike & Diane and Spark & Rhonda will be going down next weekend and will stay for that week then bring mom home. They will be joined by Beth and Greg, and mom's sister Aunt Jinnie and her husband Uncle Peter, our cousins Barb and Tony Munther and hopefully Becky Meister.

No comments:

Post a Comment