Thursday, February 26, 2009

Auction day

Even though we grow our own hay we are always in the market for more so this very rainy, cold morning I traveled out to Princeville, IL as there was an auction for 350 round bales of hay. It started at 11:00am but I had to take a trip out to the Hanna City farm first to meet the carpenter so instead of getting there at 10:00am I arrived at 10:40am. No problem, I was able to get a good look at the hay and decided what I wanted to bid on. I ended up buying 82 really nice alfalfa grass mix, 3rd cutting, stored inside, big round bales. I still have to get it transported but it is a good feeling knowing that we have enough hay for our herd when we bring them all back to the Hanna City farm. We don't have the equipment to put our own hay up so between what we hire other farmers to do and what we have to buy our hay bill for the year is usually around $11,000.00. Funny how RICH I feel when we have a barn full of good hay!
I have a lady interested in breeding her 2 Brabant mares to Raven in May. This will be the first time we ever crossed Raven with that breed. Should be interesting to see what the cross can produce. I'll have to ask for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment