Monday, May 29, 2023

Working Holiday

 My morning work started early with the birth of Jewel's colt. They were brought inside and put in a stall then I needed to grab a wheelbarrow load of hay and fill water buckets. Only after making sure all was well did I go back to the house to make breakfast for Mark and I. The work day at the barn started early. Israel and David were the first to arrive. I needed to be at mom's house just after 8:00 am and on the way over Israel was showing me how well his bike's brakes worked. When I arrived at mom's we decided to sit out on the deck for a while and mom worked the awning remote getting it just right as the day heated up.

Rhoda arrived without her two as Lee stayed home to watch them. When Sarah and Nolan arrived they dropped off Zion, Eden and River. River came in with me while the other girls went to Joan's with Braelyn, Taegan and Kensley to feed the raccoons, kittens and bunny. Phil and Anna's girls were picked up by their other grandma to drive a tractor in the Glasford parade so Zion and Eden came in with me. Israel joined us for lunch. We had left over spaghetti, French bread and watermelon for dessert. 
Ruth was on call today in case I needed help, well at 11:30 am I needed help. River messed and there were no diapers in great grandma's house. I sent a text to Nolan about needing a diaper but no answer and when I called it went straight to voicemail. Ruth said she would be here in less than 15 minutes but just then Sarah came with a diaper.  Ruth was called back and told she wasn't needed. After lunch we heard sirens and they sounded loud, just then Nolan sent the  picture below.
My heart pretty much stopped as I thought there must be an accident at the barn with one of the workers. I called and Nolan told me it was at the cabin field, Mike was burning and the fire got a little out of control. By the time the firetruck got there it was under control but we were glad they were willing to come just in case.
So glad no damage was done and no one was hurt. Below Mike is using his tractor to keep it contained.
 Mike and Diane brought home Dancer for an ultrasound, Blueberry to get bred and Mika for riding. Dancer and Blueberry were put in the paddock next to Valiant so we can see if either come in.
Mika was put in the cabin field with Sally, Cookie and Missy. 
Diane arrived at mom's about 1:45 pm so I left to check on Jewel's colt. By this time it was so hot I was a little worried about Madiera's colt being out in the sun so Madiera and her colt were brought inside to a nice cool stall. More hay was brought in and the water buckets cleaned and filled. Jewel still hadn't delivered the placenta. My next job was to put Irish, Rosaleigh and Tatiana out in the back field then move a new bale into their paddock. The foals spent some time bucking, rearing and galloping around while their mom's grazed. I didn't have time to video but watched them some as the bale was being moved.
I noticed Irish went right over to Evan and started showing. She is back in season so once the tractor was put away Irish and her colt were brought out. The colt refused to go into the small front paddock with his mom, instead running around the yard so Irish was taken to the short shelter paddock and tied inside and the gate left open. He was still galloping around when a truck pulled up with Jennifer and Kate inside. They stayed watching until Irish's colt finally decided to go into the paddock with his mom. They came to see Madiera's colt as he is the full sibling to their filly. We spent some time with the two foals. When it came time to cover Irish I let them lead her out while I kept the colt inside. We 3 were taking Irish over to tease when her colt came flying by us. He must have jumped the fence. We put him in with the other two mares and foals then quickly got Irish covered by Valiant. I was glad for both of their help. We stopped over at the new barn to check out the progress made today. Just Phil and Anna were still working, the rest of the family had left for the day. They really got a lot done today, Phil brought a load of trim and that all got painted. This evening as Jewel still has not delivered the placenta I took a shot of oxy up to the barn along with some iodine for the colt's cord and Mike walked out of the apartment door. He and Diane were coming over to see Dancer and Blueberry when Marilyn invited them in for dinner. Mike held Jewel for her shot then held the colt while I checked his cord and gave it a thorough dousing of iodine. As it was cooler and there was now shade they were put out into the far paddock then moved Madiera and her colt into the short shelter paddock. These two mares and foals will be put in a field together in a few days.  Speaking of Jewel's colt, he sold this afternoon. When I came inside the website was updated with the pictures from this morning.









No comments:

Post a Comment