Thursday, May 4, 2023

Busy Thursday

 After getting Rosaleigh and her new colt now named El Zorro by his owner all settled in a stall,  I came in to cook breakfast before the walk. I mentioned to Mark I really needed the skid steer bucket moved away from the side door so I could bring hay in from the indoor. Right after breakfast Mark put the bucket on the skid steer and moved it out of the way.  That made it very easy to fill the wheelbarrow and take it in for Rosaleigh.

I left for the walk then. Of course we needed to stop at the barn to check him out. He is quite tall.
He was just finishing nursing and flopped down in the hay for a nap.
Ruth, Joan and I stopped in at mom's to visit a bit then Ruth had to leave for work, Joan needed to leave as she wanted to get the mowing done today and I stayed.  Today was my day with mom. The weather was so nice we had lunch out on the deck and saw a bald eagle flying over head. We had fun watching the red bellied woodpecker pulling out a sunflower seed, sticking it in a crack on the pole then pounding away opening it for the seed inside.
When Karin came I left to go take the old bale out of the short shelter and put in a new bale. The goal was to move the weanlings out of the middle paddock and into the short shelter so they didn't have to compete with Rosalie and Lily for the hay. That was a little tricky, Lily, her filly and Rosalie were put out back then the gate shut. A bucket of grain was brought up, the two gates, one from the middle paddock and the one from the short shelter paddock were both opened and then tied together leaving a path from one paddock into the other. Then the weanlings were called. Valerie and Tessa did exactly what was expected. Indy's colt did not, he went running to the bottom of the paddock hoping to join Lily and Rosalie. He made me walk after him but I finally did get him in the short shelter paddock before the other two decided to come back into the middle paddock. Of course it helped that there was grain in the buckets to keep them busy.
Once that was done Rosaleigh got a shot of 1 cc of Oxytocin as she has not delivered the placenta yet. That was given about 3:30 pm.  We had supper of left overs then went back out to work. I first split a bunch of kindling, put that in a box and the box on the golf cart. The next job was to fill the back of the golf cart with wood for the firepit. I wanted to get the fire pit and wood out to the 5th wheel set up for the guests coming in tomorrow. Mark weed whacked under the picnic table and also around the 5th wheel. When we finished I picked up two chairs from the barn.
Rosaleigh wanted out and was getting impatient in the stall so she and her colt were put in the far paddock. He followed her very well.
Mark got the hydraulic saw on the skid steer and started clearing trails.
I followed for a while until he went down into the woods then headed back.
He finished those trails then took the skid steer to the trails behind the cabin field. That tool works perfect for those trails. Rosaleigh was given another cc of Oxytocin 3 at 6:30 pm. I'm hoping this will start the contractions she needs to deliver that placenta. It was a very productive day and I'm so very thankful for a safe delivery and a healthy foal. 






No comments:

Post a Comment