Monday, February 7, 2011

Feeding the Fish

We were to meet at 8:00am to visit Key West. The boat docked as we were eating breakfast at the buffet. The picture below is of the slide on our cruise ship.

We took the shuttle into town and found the catamaran tour we wanted to sign up for and 7 of us paid $38.00 plus tax for this. Below is on the cataraman with a nice picture of our boat, the Carnival Freedom
The catamaran took us 7 miles out into the ocean and anchored at the only living coral reef in the continental USA. We are standing around getting ready to get off the boat when Joan sees the first black triangle fin sticking out, SHARK was the call. That didn't stop us from getting into the water but it should have. The water was a cold 72 degrees but under the sea was worth getting into shark infested water, it was beautiful with many, many fish, lots of fish. Unfortunately the waves were a bit choppy. Mark swam over a shark bigger than he was, he was so shocked, he started swimming backward, never turning his back on that big hungry fish. Joan took the picture below of me in the water.

By this time, the waves were making me very queasy and I thought I'd better get back to the boat. After climbing up on the boat the rocking made me lose my breakfast violently into the sea. This brought lots of bright yellow fin fish up and the women left on the boat see the huge school of fish all coming right up to the boat and came running, just then a 4 foot barracuda comes swimming up to eat the fish that are eating my recycled breakfast.
Once everyone was back on the boat instead of heading back we went to the next reef. This one the waves were even worse and I just couldn't make myself get back in the water, instead anything that may not have come up the first time came up the second, third, fourth and you get the picture. Why did I pay $38.00 to torture myself? The rest of the group really did enjoy the snorkeling, Diane was the only other person to get sick. We finally made it back to the island of Key West by noon and headed to the state park beach via an electric 4 seater scooter Greg rented. He and Mike spent the afternoon shuttling us around in it.

Diane, Beth and Ruth enjoying the beach at the state park on Key West.

We all got too much sun. We made it back to the boat by 3:30pm giving us time for a shower and nap before going to our dinner.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Judy, that sounds terrible for you! but I take it that my parents had fun as my mom wasn't one on the list of getting sick (surprisingly). Keep having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chumming is a very effective way to attract fish. You are most definitely invited on the next fishing trip as the official chummer.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sick Nathan, I think I just threw up in my mouth...and you can't have it for your weird fishing tricks!!!

    ReplyDelete