Friday, December 28, 2018

It's COLD Outside

Those 50 mile and hour wind gusts took down another tree, this time snapping one in half in the pond pasture.  We had low 30s today with brisk winds. I had a couple wanting an updated picture of Zalena's colt last night so right after Mark left for work the colt was taken to the outdoor arena for a couple pictures.

Unfortunately they are from Wisconsin. I say unfortunately because Wisconsin the Coggins test is only good for the calendar year. Which means if we had the Coggins done a day ago we would need to do it again by Jan 1 2019 as they can't pick him up until after the new year. I'll have to run him to Dr. Hoerr's after the first of the year.  By the time I came back inside my fingers were frozen.  A fire was built in the living room wood burner and that was kept burning all day which warmed the house up nicely.  A picture came in today from someone that obviously has a pasture problem and it reminded me of the days when we had the horses in the original pasture at Middle Grove.
Karin would call for a burr removing party before moving the herd as we certainly didn't want to spread seeds. We NEVER  had it THIS BAD! The poor owner. That poor horse is covered. Those burrs are actually why we have velcro. The inventor of velcro was a Swiss engineer and amateur mountaineer named George de Mestral. In 1948 he was hiking in the woods with his dog. He and his dog ended up with burrs sticking everywhere. When he got home he was brushing the burrs out of his dog's fur, picking it off his clothes and decided to look at the burrs  under a microscope only to discover that they were covered in tiny hooks which allowed the burrs to grab onto clothes and fur that brushed up against the weed. He was sure there would be a commercial application and he was right!
Mark got home from work tonight with my present to myself.  I bought a new camera on ebay and was anxious to try it out. This camera is a quite a step up from my old one and even though it is used was verified to only have 1600 shutter clicks, practically brand new! Of course I wanted to try it out right away but by this time it was dark outside. The fire in the wood burner was chosen to be the first of hopefully many pictures.
I'm well pleased with the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment