Friday, December 14, 2018

Foggy Trip

We awoke to fog and the fog just got worse as the day went on. This morning three hotel rooms were reserved for our trip down to the cruise.  Diane had already booked her room. We have 4 couples that will be staying at a Drury Inn in Mississippi on the way down to Mobile and I was able to get permission to leave our car there for 5 days. We will carpool from that hotel to save $90.00 of the parking fee at the port of departure.
This afternoon the 2 horse trailer was hooked up to the new truck and I went to Middle Grove to pick up Missy and Amelia. Mike was bringing the 4 horse trailer to pick up horses for the scheduled trail ride tomorrow morning.  He got held up and by the time he arrived I was bringing the last horse down to the gate.  It was quite an experience, when I drove up a lot of the horses were all down by the road. I was pretty thrilled until it came time to open the gate. There was a combination lock on that and I even though I thought I knew the combination the lock wouldn't open.  I climbed through the fence.  Missy came right to me but Amelia wasn't in sight. I was starting to worry until the sound of thundering hooves. The horses came galloping down the hill to see who had arrived. The 3 foals were in that group. Missy and Amelia were put in the summer pasture and Missy tied up to get them away from the other horses and right after that the herd took off running up the hill away. Karin was sent a text and she was able to tell me the combination to the gate. Amelia and Missy were loaded before I started hiking up to find the other horses.  It was so foggy that I couldn't recognize the horses until I was right up on them. Mika was taken down first and tied at the gate. The next trip up the hill I grabbed Cookie and when I hiked back down the hill Ripper followed. Cookie was tied at the other side. The last trip up was to find Sally and I walked to each group of mares looking for her. In the fog, those black horses all pretty much look alike.  Mike pulled up and found that Ripper had pushed the gate open and was eating on the wrong side of the fence.  He decided to just bring Ripper home too and put Ripper and Mika in the front of the trailer then Sally and Cookie in the back.  By this time it was 4:30 pm and getting dark. The fog was so thick that the drive home was slow. No pictures today, it was just too hard to see anything.  Sure hope they have a nice  trail ride tomorrow. They are taking 2 trailer loads to Sandridge as it is too muddy anywhere else to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment