Friday, September 30, 2016

Preparing for the Spoon River Drive

The weather today mirrored my attitude, gloomy, damp and dripping tears. I know this was just a horse,  just a brand new colt that never even got the chance to nurse. I wish the loss wouldn't bother me but unfortunately I have a good memory and remember each foal we have ever lost. It just that we work hard to make sure the mare is pregnant and stays pregnant for almost a year then to lose the foal at birth and to know it wasn't a still born is awful. Especially if it could have been prevented by stalling the mare. When I think of those hours that colt lay in the brambles trying to get up, scratching his head and face all up on wicked thorns and getting weaker and weaker until finally he is too weak to even lift his head then dies it truly makes me feel sick at heart.
The other foals were worked with today. Joanna was taken into a stall and groomed up then her legs and hooves handled. Sangria is in so strongly she is standing next to Valiant by herself. The other mares plus Sangria's filly were off grazing in the big field. She was covered today and finally did leave to find the herd. I'm still waiting for Rosalie to come in and now of course we will need to breed back Oksana. Both of those will be bred to Evan as Valiant is their half brother.
At 1:00 pm I left for the Old School Center with the car loaded down with the popcorn machine, cotton candy machine, all the supplies and signs. Dan met me there and opened the doors. The popcorn and cotton candy will be made inside but sold outside near the pony rides. The pony ride area was staked off and when Karin arrived the two of us put up the pony ride signs on 116 and Route 78. We charge just $2.00 for a ride and if the weather is decent usually end up with lots of customers. The popcorn and cotton candy is sold for just a ONE ($1.00) dollar. We were putting up the signs in the rain. Hope tomorrow's weather is nicer.
After supper Mark and I worked on the middle drive laying down fabric and then covering it with gravel. Well Mark used the skid steer to cover the drive with gravel while I went up to feed Eliza. It was almost pitch dark before we both came in. It was a sad day, but Habakkuk 3:17 and 18 come to mind: "Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labor of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:" "Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation."






No comments:

Post a Comment