Friday, November 15, 2013

Pot Luck Fun

This post should have been written last night but we got home so late from potluck we went straight to bed. Yesterday morning while heading in to work Diane and I stopped in at the bank and ran into mom. We had to tease her about what she was doing in "our bank". After depositing a check and getting cash out to pay Emily and Rhoda for delivering the boys we headed in to Meisters to work on finishing the letters, UPS-ing the Bibles to the waiting chaplains in Maryland and Kansas then mailing the individual Bibles. We sent out over 300 Bibles. Our hay guy Chuck, called as we were loading them into the car to run to the post office. He had his trailer already loaded with hay and wanted to drop it off at the farm.
I think we now have enough hay to make it through the winter. We have 108 bales here, 35 bales at the new land at Middle Grove and 14 at the old in reserve just in case.
Rhoda and Emily were asked who we should keep here for training and who should go out and they decided to send Anna and Eliza out and keep working 2 year old Killian and 3 year old Ayanna here. I'll plan on hauling out when the truck and trailer come back from Farmington. John is borrowing that, he is picking up a bull today at Wild Life Prairie Park. He called to ask the best way to load a bull and I recommended getting a bucket of grain, shaking it in front of him then running. That works pretty well if one is a fast runner, just ask Amy Koch. Actually Amy wouldn't agree with that statement about it working pretty well. We were loading a bull years ago and asked her to hold the bucket, the bull which we were leading saw Amy and the bucket, took off dragging the handlers through the barn door and across the arena. These are Amy's exact words."I danced backwards ALL the way across the arena and out the people door. Right down the driveway, I wasn't smart enough to DROP the bucket." then she says, "I may be dumb but I'm not stupid! tell John "NO" I won't help him load his bull!"
Getting back to yesterday Mark came home early from work and moved the bales into the barn while I cooked the vegetables, at least I tried to cook the vegetables. I reached down for my pot and it wasn't there, bending down looking all of my pots and pans have disappeared except the huge ones and the pressure cooker. Oh well the pressure cooker could just be used as a pot so that was pulled out. Then I grabbed the frying pan to start the bacon the handle fell off. This recipe calls for bacon and sauteed onion, I found a stir fry wok that worked. I'm really going to have to buy more pots and pans.
Ruth picked us up for potluck in her new van. It took us a while to get going we couldn't figure out how to shut the doors enough to stop the warning beep. Potluck was at Eva Jean's and we had a really fun group. Ruth, Anni, Mom, Mark and I, Mike and Carol Rieker, Max and Katy Hoerr, Eva Jean and Erma Weiland. The food was great but the fellowship was even better.
I need to leave in a few minutes to pick up Israel then as soon as I'm back Mark is going to help me unhook the living quarter trailer and hook up the stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment