Monday, August 17, 2020

Rosaleigh Pregnant

Dr. Hoerr was scheduled to come this morning but I didn't bother bringing in the horses right away. Joan and I walked with mom a bit then went inside to make plans for her job list. At 9:00 am just as I was going to call the vet clinic to find out when, Emma from the vet clinic called me to tell me Dr. Hoerr would be here in 45 minutes. That meant I had to rush. Indy, her colt, Oksana, her colt, Lily, her colt, Rosaleigh, her colt, Madiera and her colt all needed to be brought in and halters put on all those colts and first I had to find 5 halters that would fit them. I was pleased with how well they all did for that job. Each one was tied and given a short lesson before letting them loose in the stall. Just about the time I finished with the last colt the phone rang and it was Emma from the vet clinic. She explained that Dr. Hoerr just got called to an emergency and she didn't know how long it would take. As it was pretty hot inside I decided to put all the horses back out but just leave the halters on the colts BUT as I got the last mare and foal outside the phone rang again and this time Emma from the vet clinic told me, "he is ON the WAY!" All the horses were brought back inside. The first done was Rosaleigh's ultrasound and we are very pleased to announce that she is pregnant and due July 4th, 2021. Next job was to check out Madiera's colt, this is the colt that had the radial nerve injury at a few days old. He is not 100% healed, we decided he should go to Middle Grove where the ground is hilly and more rough which will make him use it. Then Dr. Hoerr drew blood for his coggins test. Next was Rosaleigh's colt, then Oksana's colt, Indy's colt and finally Lily's colt. All did well for that. As soon as Dr. Hoerr left Lily was taken out of the stall and loaded, then Oksana, and Indy. Once those 3 were in the trailer in the dividers then Rosaleigh and her colt were stuffed in the remaining spot and off we went to Middle Grove.  They were all glad to get back there.
 Indy, Oksana and Lily took off running to find their foals which had been left at home for weaning.

 I drove back to the barn, checked on the 3 colts being weaned then loaded up Madiera and her colt and hauled them to Middle Grove.
When I got back the second time it was after 3:00 pm. The colts were given fresh water, more grain and hay. All seem to be doing well. The farmer arrived to rake the hay about the time Mark got home. The weather that was suppose to be just beautiful the rest of this week started clouding up. Right then and there I started praying for the rain to go around us if possible and believe it or not it did! Mike sent the picture below:
The rain went both north and south of the farm and missed us completely. Tomorrow as soon as the dew is dry the hay can be bailed. Mark and I went over to mom's where Faith was mowing and Joan, Mackenson and Berlica were clearing some of the cattails to make room for the boats. 

Berlica found a huge praying mantis on one of the cattails.
We had a long busy day but I am so thankful the rain missed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment