Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Missy Has a Filly

With the waxing on Missy's udder yesterday I was pretty sure she would deliver during the night but by the time we went to bed she was standing quietly, no sign of labor at all. I woke up at 11:00 pm and 1:00 pm to check the monitor. She was still quiet at the 11:00 pm check but by 1:00 pm I was pretty sure she was in labor. Now hind sight I should have wrapped her tail and bedded her stall in straw but hind sight is always 20/20 and that didn't happen. I was getting dressed to head out only to see her lay down and her water break. I grabbed the camera and a couple towels, jumped on the golf cart drove likitysplit to the barn only to find out the camera's SD card had been left in the house. I went right back to the house to get it.  By the second trip, Missy was standing with two legs sticking out.
 Missy laid down to start pushing. 

 At 1:15 pm it was obvious she was not making quick enough progress. 
 At that point the camera was put down and I started pulling. Once the head and shoulders were delivered the camera was grabbed and another couple pictures taken. 

 But then put back down to remove the sack from the foal's head and to check the sex. I was glad to see another filly. 
 She looks to be a blue roan with a blaze like Missy's and one white foot. 



 It was WAY late by now so I just helped the filly up. She balanced for a bit but could not figure out how to move those long legs. 

 At 3:30 am I headed back to the house. The filly had not yet nursed and had not yet stood on her own but was getting close enough and Missy was standing quietly when she was rooting under her belly I was pretty confident she would figure it out soon.
At 6:00 am I watched on the monitor her get up on her own but Missy was laying down. The filly circled her mom and seemed strong but I wanted to make sure she had nursed so got dressed and went out to ask Missy to stand. The filly went right to the correct place and latched right on. It was obvious that she had been nursing. Another safe delivery and a healthy foal.
Mike would like to keep this filly as a replacement for Missy some day.  Right now she is advertised for $3500.00 but before we take her off the for sale list we need to see exactly HOW many horses do we NEED. As Diane says, "we just can't keep getting attached to the inventory."

1 comment:

  1. So happy for a safe delivery and healthy filly! Those cameras sure are lifesavers - literally!

    ReplyDelete