Friday, March 31, 2023

Strong Storms

 Just Ruth, me and the 3 dogs walked. Well actually Ruth and I rode the golf cart while the dogs ran beside us getting their exercise. Diane and Mike left for Gulf Shores and Joan has co-op on Fridays. Lily and her day old filly were put outside and the arena cleaned up. 

I had a couple book the 5th wheel for tomorrow morning and that hadn't been opened since last fall. I was praying there would be no critter damage and was so pleased to find it was exactly as we left it last fall. That was given a good cleaning, all the bedding was washed and then brought back out, fresh towels, shampoo, conditioner, and soap along with 8 bottles of water were taken out to restock. I finished that at noon, grabbed the 30 gallon propane tank from the new barn and took that in to Peoria to refill it. Now that I know how to install the tank it is an easy job. Anna came and got the apartment ready for the guests coming in tonight. I drove the golf cart over to mom's to visit with Ruth. She needed to leave for a few minutes so I stayed and visited with mom. Rizzy is staying with us while David and Stephanie's family are in Gulf Shores, she followed me over and stared at us from the deck licking her chops in hope we would let her in to eat Molly's dog food.
When Ruth got back I left for Sam's club to pick up 2 of the 110 foot hoses which will be used for the fresh water intake on the 5th wheel. Just as I was checking out the first storm hit. I had an umbrella but the rain was coming down so hard sideways that my jean skirt was soon soaked. Right about then the hail started. Ruth took the picture below, I was trying to keep the umbrella over my head as that hail stung when it hit.
Trying to drive home was not easy. Below is what my windshield looked like.
The cars on the interstate were crawling and under each overpass were cars, trucks and even motorhomes trying to get away from the hail. This caused the traffic to come to a complete stop. The flashers were needed as it was so hard to see very far in front.  I made it home safe. Mark was here and helped unload the car. A little later another storm was moving in. There was the almost continues rumble of distant thunder.
The electricity went off, came back on, went off, came back on and now my desktop computer won't work. Thankfully I have a laptop. Hopefully this can be fixed. Mark turned on the generator, Ruth, Phil, mom and Joan have battery back up. 
The airbnb guests coming in tonight were hoping to arrive before dark to see the horses. Lily and her day old filly were brought into a stall and the burrs taken out of Lily's mane and tail. I had just finished when they arrived. They all got to pet the filly then before heading out to see the other horses showed them where the storm shelter was.  As I was introducing them to the other horses the next storm arrived dumping buckets of rain water. That blew over and out came a gorgeous rainbow. Joan took the picture below.
Rachel sent the next picture.
Ruth sent the last picture.
Such beauty after the storm. Mark walked around the neighborhood, just one tree down and that is at Mike and Diane's house. I'll get a picture of that tomorrow. I'm not sure now much rain we received but probably more than 2 inches. The ground is saturated.








No comments:

Post a Comment