Saturday, March 25, 2023

Picking Up Lily

It was snowing this morning and I was so tempted not to go to Middle Grove to pick up Lily. 
I went first up to the barn to clean up the arena. It was so nasty outside that I decided to leave Rosalie inside. She was checking out all the buckets while patiently waiting for me to finish picking up manure.
She was not happy to be left inside.
I drove over to mom's about 8:00 am to visit a bit with mom and Ruth then stopped at the barn to get a draft halter and lead rope and put it in the truck. Mark walked up and joined me for the trip out. The truck was out of gas so the first stop was Casey's.  Mark even jumped out of the truck to fill the tank.
Always shocking to see that total. We can claim mileage but at 56 cents a mile that doesn't even pay for the gas used to get there and back.  We parked out on the road and started hiking in. We first saw some old bleached bones. They looked to be the bones of a deer.
We saw the herd when we reached the round pen. They were at the top of the far hill.
When we reached Lily and I was putting her halter on Mark noticed 5 or 6 deer in the trees not 20 yard from us watching. By the time I got the phone out to take some pictures they took off.
Mark led Lily while I walked behind to keep the other horses from following. She is starting to bag up so must come in.
That is Dancer ahead of them. She followed us quite a ways. The others were content to stay and graze.

We made it home by 10:30 am. The snow had stopped so Lily was put in the middle paddock then Rosalie brought to join her. She was so excited to see her mom that I could hardly get her halter on her.
Phil, Anna and the girls were hard at work in the barn. The girls were laying the rubber tile while Phil and Anna were finishing up hanging drywall. Mark went out to join them.  I stayed inside and started cooking lunch, doing laundry and sweeping floors. They all came in for lunch at 12:45 pm. After lunch they all went right back out to work.  I started browning the hamburger for the 2 crock pots of lasagna for tomorrow's dinner and was just getting the last layer on the second pot when Mark came in to rest.  Mike came driving over on his tractor. He changed the gas engine out for a diesel engine and that tractor really has power now.

It starts right up and runs great.

I walked over to visit with Diane. We are concerned that the doctors do not know how to treat Rhonda. She isn't getting any better. She is still at OSF. At 6:00 pm I walked home. We decided to eat some lasagna tonight for dinner to try it out and Mark pronounced it good. That was served with French bread fried in butter. I left the garlic off the bread but added some to the sauce in the lasagna. That is now unplugged and when cool enough will be put in the fridge. After dinner I walked back up to the barn to bring Lily and Rosalie inside and spent some time removing burrs from Lily's tail and started on her forelock and mane but quit when she got impatient. Neither mare is waxing so I don't really need to stall them yet. I'm grateful for the indoor arena, a dry safe place just in case they would deliver.
When I got back to the house Mark was gone. He is back to work in the barn laying more rubber tile upstairs. It was a good day. I'm very thankful for Mark's help bringing Lily home and Phil's family for working so hard night after night on the barn. 














No comments:

Post a Comment