Wednesday, May 6, 2009

long day


Today started out early, I worked here at Bridlewood, then did the grocery shopping as we were out of just about everything. I bought chicken, onions, avocados, tortillas for dinner, then all the rest of the stuff we needed like peanut butter, milk and bread. After shopping I headed down to work where I put in a couple of hours on finances. The phone didn't stop ringing and I was so glad to get out of there and head to the farm. I made it there by 2:30 and Raven was so glad to see me. Lily, Sangria and Salena with their foals were the first out, then I hand grazed Raven. He kept looking over at the cabin area where Paris is so I think either she is coming into season or he is just hopeful. I teased Lady but still no go. While I was waiting for Karin I got the drill out and put up some boards that Pacheron knocked down to get in with Lily and Salena. I really don't know if he knocked them down but as he was in with them and he wasn't suppose to be we will blame him. I'm always amazed at what he gets away with, they must know he is no threat to their foals. He was just quietly eating at their round bale next to them. Any other horse would have been kicked right out of there. He is such a dufus! I'm praying for a good home for him, he will make someone a wonderful trail horse. He is already very tall and not yet 2 years old. He is just starting to get out of his ugly duckling stage. I think he will be beautiful when he matures. I've registered him with FSHR but as his sire is Raven and his dam is Sangria, he qualifies for the Warlander Society. I just don't want to spend the money on that since he is a gelding. The Warlander Society is so exclusive, only a Friesian Andalusian cross is allowed.
Karin got to the farm around 3:30 and we worked on the new surcingle, put new padding on our vaulting barrel, then watered and raked the arena. I called the mares in around 5:00pm and headed home to make dinner. Karin emailed later that vaulting went very well and the new surcingle is working out great though she thinks the girth is a little too big. We can punch holes in it if needed and as Ribbon is pregnant she will need the extra room. I think we will be shipping semen soon to Idaho, we are waiting for the vet to call at their end, plus the Iowa people have decided to ship instead of bringing their mare down. She is a beautiful black and white spotted draft mare and the foal will be beautiful.
I went through all my coggin papers and realize that Autumn, Anni, Big Sally and Sophie's ran out the end of April so I will have to have Dr. Hoerr draw their coggins when he comes on the 12th for sonagrams. Rachel took the above picture, Raven was running around the pasture and she happened to snap it.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to come out and photograph Raven. He's just beautiful. Let me know if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete