Sunday, May 3, 2009

Early Sunday Morning

It was pretty hard to roll out of bed this morning at 6:00 but I needed to drive to the farm to give Ciera her sulpha and iodine her cord. Lily was glad to see me but I couldn't let her out, I just didn't have time. I got her stall cleaned and thought I must remember to thank Steven Marchal. He fed, watered and cleaned stalls for me Saturday night as we were hosting our benefit dinner. We didn't finish cleaning up the fellowship hall until 10:30pm. I was exhausted and my feet hurt from working all day. And I thought I was in shape.
After taking care of Lily and Ciera I headed over to the Andalusian mare's paddock for her morning feed. Her sonagram is scheduled for May 12th so she may not be with us much longer. Last week I was worried about running out of her oats that I mix with her supplements so I mixed in some of our senior feed. She really likes it. I didn't want to change her over cold turkey so I started by mixing her oats with just a little of the Senior feed but now it is probably about half and half.
Raven was very impatient for his feed. He saw me go in her shed and started calling and stamping his feet telling me, "HEY, I come FIRST!" I have been hand grazing him for about a half hour at a time. He loves the grass but has to go check out all the mares first just in case he will have a job to do before grazing. He will be busy this week, the 2 paint mares will be coming this week and I think Holly's mare should be coming in soon also. Holly lives close enough that she is just going to be hauling her mare in each day. When I bought my Ster Friesian mare Duurke, our first purebred Friesian, the nearest Friesian stallion that allowed live cover was 300 miles away. She just would not take with AI and we knew we would have to go the live cover route. Of course if there would have been a closer Friesian stallion, I would not have purchased RAVEN and what a blessing he has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment