Thursday, March 28, 2019

Update on Anna

Anna was very depressed this morning, not wanting to eat or drink. She was given her banimine, bute and antibiotics and watched but she just didn't improve. As we were having a beautiful day she was taken out to the field to see if she would graze.  She perked up a little at first and went over to visit with Valiant but I was disappointed to see she would not drink or graze.
After I was reasonable sure she would be ok for a while I left to meet Kensley's bus. She was happy to see me and the day was warm so we parked up at the barn and the car doors left open. Kensley played in the back of the car while I checked on Anna.  An open hatch back is an open invitation for Studly. He was thrilled to join Kensley without anyone asking him to.
Anna was laying down resting so we went back to the house to play.
When Anna came to pick up Kensley she saw a strange sight on my patio.  These were under the step going into our house.
There were at least 4 of them all tangled up.  We like garter snakes just not at the house so they were moved into the yard.  Each hour I would run back up to the field to check on Anna. Around 1:00 pm she was showing signs of being in a lot of pain. She was dripping wet with sweat and had rolled so hard she was covered in mud. She was taken back to the stall but immediately dropped and tried to roll.  She was given more banimine and taken to the indoor arena as I didn't want her to become cast in the stall. I filled a bucket full of water and kept offering it to her but she would have nothing to do with the water and turned her head away each time. The banimine just didn't seem to help. After watching her in this terrible pain for 2 hours I called the vet clinic and at that point made the decision to have her put down.  Mark was sent a text that he needed to come home to start digging a hole.  Fedi was put on stand by to do the deed. Mark had to help get her out of the indoor arena, she would only stagger and try to drop when I would try to lead her. We got her to the round pen and in front of the round pen is a water tank filled with water. Anna stopped in front of the tank, stuck her nose in the water and drank. Then drank some more sometimes putting her entire face under water.  Fedi was called and quickly cancelled from coming. Mark went ahead and finished her grave but hopefully we wont need it. This evening her bandages were changed and she was given another dose of banimine and 2 grams of bute. She is resting quietly but not yet willing to eat anything.  It may have been gas causing the pain and if so she has a chance. We will see if she makes it through tonight.  The other news is Galena is now waxing. She is due April 17th but with the amount of waxing on her teats she will be going early.  She was cleaned up and brought inside. She is not in labor but we are expecting storms tonight and I don't want to take a chance on her delivering outside.  She is huge and last time needed help getting her big foal out.  Mark helped with the pulling of her foal. I video'd most of the delivery taken April 2nd, 2018 and that video as of tonight has 3,439,872 views. I'm not sure why it is so popular but check it out for yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my. You have to be physically and mentally exhausted. Hoping you have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been so burdened with Anna. I woke up in the wee hours of Friday morning and began to pray for her. I am so hopeful she will pull through this. May God keep his hand upon her and give her strength and healing. May he grant you wisdom and strength as well. I'm sure all of this is very stressful and exhausting.

    ReplyDelete